Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th October 2013, 12:39 PM
Friend

Default Converting a shed into a darkroom

Hi,

For anyone interested in converting a shed into a darkroom i wrote a tutorial on how i did mine http://www.twelvesmallsquares.blogsp...-i-am-man.html

I have also done a tutorial on how to make some inner doors which you can find here http://www.twelvesmallsquares.blogsp...d-darkrom.html

hopefully this will be useful to someone
Old 28th October 2013, 05:56 PM
Friend

Hi wilfbiffherb, Thanks for the article, made interesting reading. I am another "darkshed" user. My conversion was pretty much the same as yours, with the exception of the light proofing of the door, and the extract vent. I have found the "darkshed" is a great idea and works very well.

My solution to the door problem was to use curtain blackout lining, secured by Velcro. One half of the Velcro was very, very, well stapled all around the four sides of the door frame and the other half sewn to the lining. Sewing leaves tiny holes so where it was needed just went over all the holes with black gaffer tape. Once secured in place nailed a piece of timber down LH side to create a partial permanent fix. Other three sides can now be put on and taken off at will. have attached a couple of pics in case anyone interested.

Same end result as you, just a different route.

Regards
Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0666.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	1908   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0667.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	1909  

Last edited by CambsIan; 28th October 2013 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Text alteration
Old 28th October 2013, 10:30 PM
Friend

I read your article with interest. My wife suggested a shed funnily enough - one of those metal ones. Of course I had to dismiss the idea and I set up in the garage, but you've got me thinking!
Old 29th October 2013, 09:52 AM
Friend

I've seen CambsIan's shedroom and it's a very workmanlike place. It also houses the tumble dryer, which is natty. Well done, Ian
Old 29th October 2013, 10:35 AM
Friend

I tried the curtain for a while but i couldnt get it to work for me, it kept falling down, perhaps i should have stapled better.

when my wife suggested a shed i initially scoffed at the idea but now i have it it's amazing! so much better than a room in the house as i can hammer and customise willy nilly without the landlords consent!
Old 29th October 2013, 08:42 PM
Friend

Adrian, if you ( or anyone else ) were to consider going down the shed route, I would suggest a wooden one, not a metal one. The wooden type was for me was the easier one to attach the insulation, the lining etc., just screwed everything to the frame. I have a metal shed that I use for garden storage, but it does suffer from condensation.

wilfbifherb, I agree, it a great space, that works a treat with lots of advantages.

JOReynolds, thanks for the compliment, the tumble dryer was a small, but worthwhile concession to the "other half".

Ian
Old 30th October 2013, 07:46 PM
Administrator

and not forgetting Dave of this parish: http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...read.php?t=146
Old 8th November 2013, 12:27 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
and not forgetting Dave of this parish: http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...read.php?t=146
thats a way more intense version than mine haha. still plenty of room for spiders to get in in mine!
Old 8th November 2013, 12:57 PM
Friend

good old Dave, hope he is keeping well .?????????

www.essexcockney.com
Old 26th December 2013, 10:58 AM
Friend

I've splashed out on having a shed custom built by a local guy complete with insulation and electrics. What's the best way of having water? I don't want a permanent water supply as this would mean digging up most of the garden for pipework and the budget doesn't go that far, but I do need a good water supply for print washing and chemical mixing.

Tags
conversion, darkroom, shed, tutorial
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies