Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Print Exchanges

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th December 2020, 08:01 PM
Print Exchange Manager

Received today from SanMiguel an intriguing print of a still life with a very full description of what he was trying to portray and how it was achieved. Well, it is very successful with the atmosphere enhanced with the print made on a warm ivory paper.

I don't think I have the imagination to make and photograph a set up so effectively. I do confess to have a psychological problem with warm coloured printing paper. They make me think that the print hasn't been fixed properly or stained by an error in the processing. I must be suffering from some past d/u trauma and have some kind of PSTD!!!
Thanks for challenging me.

Mike
Old 16th December 2020, 08:17 PM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CambsIan View Post
Mods - I have listed them as printed by Richard in the description, but is it possible to reassign them to Richard ? Many thanks.

Ian
Owner changed to Richard Gould.
Bill
Old 16th December 2020, 08:17 PM
Administrator

That confused me - I changed one and suddenly the other two changed too! I though the old brain had finally gone (I have been waiting...)!

Cheers, Bob.
Old 17th December 2020, 08:12 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Sorry Bob confused me as well because I changed 2 and suddenly the third had changed. Great minds.....

Bill
Old 17th December 2020, 11:05 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Marlow View Post
Posted my print today.

Tony
Tony has sent a very appealing print of the bow of a barge on the river Rhine. The boat must be laden as the bow is very low in the water and the bow waves are riding high.
The light picks out the highlights and details showing very nice contrast and separation, helped no doubt as you say, by the use of selenium.

We do indeed see quite a few of these type of vessels here in the Netherlands as well, on the rivers Maas and Waal.

A great many thanks!
Martin

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 17th December 2020, 02:55 PM
Friend

I've just posted my offering by first class post, but it will probably take a day or two longer to arrive, going by letters that I've received recently.

Terry S
Old 17th December 2020, 05:55 PM
Friend

Quote:
Tony has sent a very appealing print of the bow of a barge on the river Rhine. The boat must be laden as the bow is very low in the water and the bow waves are riding high.
The light picks out the highlights and details showing very nice contrast and separation, helped no doubt as you say, by the use of selenium.
We do indeed see quite a few of these type of vessels here in the Netherlands as well, on the rivers Maas and Waal.
A great many thanks!
Martin
Glad it arrived Ok Marty. Thanks for the comments I thought it might be a familiar sight for you. No doubt The Netherlands is the start and finishing point for most of these barges.

Tony
Old 18th December 2020, 09:56 AM
Friend

I'm glad it arrived safely Mike. Thanks for your comments. The Foma133 paper is very nice for certain subjects - Foma suggest portraits and 'retro-style' photography. When I've tried it with a warmtone developer it goes a bit 'off the scale' for my liking but ordinary Multigrade tames it somewhat. It tones very nicely.

Unfortunately I forgot to scan the particular print that I sent you, but I will upload another print from that session to the PE Gallery. The only noticeable difference is that in the print I'm about to upload I burned in around the top of the briefcase a little so the folds in the backdrop aren't as visible. Other than that, the same print in the Gallery is the same as the one Mike received.

Regards,
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHeller View Post
Received today from SanMiguel an intriguing print of a still life with a very full description of what he was trying to portray and how it was achieved. Well, it is very successful with the atmosphere enhanced with the print made on a warm ivory paper.

I don't think I have the imagination to make and photograph a set up so effectively. I do confess to have a psychological problem with warm coloured printing paper. They make me think that the print hasn't been fixed properly or stained by an error in the processing. I must be suffering from some past d/u trauma and have some kind of PSTD!!!
Thanks for challenging me.

Mike
Old 19th December 2020, 01:44 PM
Friend

Two prints received this morning, Terry, so not a bad effort by the Royal Mail.

The prints are from a place called Barnards Farm in Essex, which sounds like a great spot to hit every couple of years, Terry. The first, of a large sculpture, is printed on Art 300, which has a lovely feel to it. It's a super paper and I like the composition of the shot - there's a nice balance/symmetry to it.

The second is on MGV Pearl which of course is a different paper entirely. Apart from the texture of the surface, the foliage and sky in the Art 300 are much more pleasing to my eye. The composition of the second shot is interesting - it took me a moment or two to realise that it was half a face in the foreground but when I 'got' it, I liked it. I think it adds to the shot.

Thanks for the prints.
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
I've just posted my offering by first class post, but it will probably take a day or two longer to arrive, going by letters that I've received recently.

Terry S
Old 19th December 2020, 03:30 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMiguel View Post
Two prints received this morning, Terry, so not a bad effort by the Royal Mail.

Thanks for the prints.
Michael
Thanks for the comments Micheal.

Royal Mail really has pulled out the stops with the delivery, I thought you might even have had to wait for it, until after Christmas, if you can believe all the headlines about delays in the post.

And yes, I too much prefer the Art 300's surface and am getting closer to try and print more or even everything on FB papers, but for a while I think it will be a mixture of the two.

I'll get them both scanned and put into the gallery as soon as possible.

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies