Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 8th February 2015, 12:12 AM
Friend

Default Fogged HP5

Here's a new one on me.

Today, I shot a roll of HP5 in a Mamiya C330S.
Trusted and reliable camera.
Fresh film, dated March 2016. Purchased from Ag, refrigerated on arrival. Another roll from the same brick of 10 developed last week, all ok.
Developed in PMK Pyro. Same tank, time, thermometer as usual. Stock solution was used yesterday to process a roll of PanF, successfully.

Result- a roll of negs drying just now, where frames 1 to about 5 are just fine, frame 6 a hint of of fogging? From 7 to the end very obvious and serious fogging.

Never had it before, so hopefully never again, but I can't quite understand it.
X-Rays? No. Never taken it through an airport. Would also surely affect whole film?
Heat? Again, no. Never had a chance to get hot. Again, why only the end of the film, which is the deepest in the roll and best protected.
Light leak? Why the end of the roll?? This was kept longest on the spool, and immediately wound through onto the take-up spool after shooting the last frame, at the end of the day as the light failed. Frames 1 to 3, shot in bright sun, are the 'cleanest'.
Some kind of shutter fault? I used both 55 and 80mm lenses. Both gave clean frames, and fogged frames. Fogging extends into the rebate, where the edge markings are clear and consistent along the whole film.

Ladies and gentlemen of the Jury, any ideas???
Old 8th February 2015, 12:19 AM
Friend

No. Not any idea. I recommend you get that guy from Death In Paradise . Seriously you seem to have covered everything

Mike, AKA "flummoxed from the Midlands"
Old 8th February 2015, 12:28 AM
Friend

Can you post a scan or digisnap of the affected film ?

One possibility is light-piping that occurred during packaging. If there is a fault on the machine Ilford use to wind each roll, a cover gets opened. Once this happens, the last, current, and next roll normally get rejected - This is only speculation on my part, but it is just possible that you got one of the rolls that should have been rejected.

A call or email to Ilford's support team may get an answer.
Old 8th February 2015, 12:50 AM
Friend

I've had similar fogging on two 35mm rolls of Rollei Retro 80. Strangely, they came as part of a purchase of several from Ag. The first went through a Nikon F80 which has a film window and an infra red counter. I thought either could be to blame, but the second went through an FE. Other rolls were fine. I contacted Ag about it, but never got an answer. The fogging was all over, including the rebate, but images were visible. Light-piping may have been the problem, but that film is on a polyester base, unlike HP5. I have read somewhere that light-piping tends to be a problem with polyester films.
Alex
Old 8th February 2015, 01:01 AM
Friend

Hi Guys.
This really does beat me.
Can't scan film, but plan to make a contact sheet anyway. I'll scan that. This is a roll I shot following on from some thoughts on metering and exposure methodology. Of course, it turned out weird!
I wondered about some kind of chemically induced fog, but why only part of the film??
The end of the film, of course, is last to be wound onto the reel, but it was dark, and I'm pretty swift winding 120 onto that reel.

(Wishing I was smarter) Colin.
Old 8th February 2015, 01:47 AM
Friend

is the film fgged right across its width from edge to edge or just down one side? And is completely to fogged or partially fogged.
Old 8th February 2015, 10:47 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Hi Guys.
This really does beat me.
Can't scan film, but plan to make a contact sheet anyway. I'll scan that. This is a roll I shot following on from some thoughts on metering and exposure methodology. Of course, it turned out weird!
I wondered about some kind of chemically induced fog, but why only part of the film??
The end of the film, of course, is last to be wound onto the reel, but it was dark, and I'm pretty swift winding 120 onto that reel.

(Wishing I was smarter) Colin.
If you have a phone with a camera hold the negatives in front of the window and take a pic. You may need to play a bit but should work.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 8th February 2015, 11:18 AM
Friend

Quote:
Can't scan film, but plan to make a contact sheet anyway. I'll scan that.
If you have a flat bed scanner for prints, just lay the affected strip of film on the glass. Don't need the highest quality of scan to see the extent of the fogging.
Old 8th February 2015, 11:12 PM
Friend

Quote:
Here's a new one on me.

Today, I shot a roll of HP5 in a Mamiya C330S.
Trusted and reliable camera.

Light leak? Why the end of the roll?? This was kept longest on the spool, and immediately wound through onto the take-up spool after shooting the last frame, at the end of the day as the light failed.

Well I'm just gonna chuck this in, for you to discount more than anything and it would explain why some frames on the same roll are fogged and some are not.

C330 has bellows and rack focussing, hole in the bellows not leaking light unless extended to a particular length and beyond..
Old 9th February 2015, 10:18 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnX View Post
Well I'm just gonna chuck this in, for you to discount more than anything and it would explain why some frames on the same roll are fogged and some are not.

C330 has bellows and rack focussing, hole in the bellows not leaking light unless extended to a particular length and beyond..
Send it back to Ilford, they will examine the film and probably give you the answer to your problem. I know the lady who does this work and know that you will get the enswer you require. Send the film for the care of Simon Galley.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies