Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th August 2015, 11:37 PM
Friend

Default Delta Projection Print Scale

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/41621-...on-Print-Scale

Has anyone used this item? Just curious.

Jake
Old 11th August 2015, 06:00 AM
Friend

Many years ago, when I was starting out in the darkroom, I used a Kodak version of the same thing, cost me around ten shillings(50p ) and it worked in that it gave at least a basic print, if I remember correctly you would put it onthe the middle of the paper and expose for 60 seconds, develop and the section that looked correct was the right exposure time,
Richard
Old 11th August 2015, 09:50 AM
Friend

Same as Richard, I have the Kodak version and used it a fair bit before I got a StopClock. It still has its uses, particularly with random/old paper that I don't have calibration info for.
Old 11th August 2015, 10:07 AM
Friend

There was a method for using the Kodak one in order to determine a personal EI (if you didn't have access to a densitometer). I tried it, and it was quite easy to do. The method is described in one of the Kodak technical books. I haven't used it for its intended purpose. I have one of the Jobo ones too, which gives you both exposure and contrast info on one sheet. It covers an entire 8x10 sheet and you make four exposures in sequence using different filters. It works best with the special easel which has 4 covers to allow you to expose one section at a time. The easels are cheap and easy to find, but the acetate sheet is less common.
Alex
Old 11th August 2015, 05:21 PM
Friend

I, too, used the Kodak version many many decades ago when first learning. It would yield a test strip with just one exposure from the enlarger with its lens aperture set for 2-3 stops less than wide open. Back then all enlarging papers were fixed grade, so I used it to find the correct exposure for the highlight area of interest and the print density in the darkest area of interest was dictated by the paper grade. Even with today's vc papers, the highlight exposure could still be found the same way after first selecting one of the graded filters. If or when you decide to use split-grade printing, the procedure would be a bit different.

So the center of this scale was placed at the highlight of the image. Instead of using a full size 10x8 paper for each test strip I'd cut the paper into four 5x4 sheets. Kodak's instructions for use said to place the scale on the paper and give 60 seconds exposure, then choose the sector that gives you the shade of gray you prefer and read the number at the outer edge of that sector. That number would be the number of seconds of exposure that creates the preferred shade. They also said that if the test exposure time is 30 seconds, then the correct exposure time would be half of the edge number.

Nowadays, I do my test strips using the Test Strip Printer found in Way Beyond Monochrome 2nd Ed., pg.475.
Old 16th August 2015, 05:43 PM
Friend

I, too have used the Kodak version. It is (IMHO) a very useful tool when one is starting out learning to print. I still go back to one occasionally when a number of variables have changed (film, paper, developer, enlarger, lens, magnification, etc. - pick 2 or 3) to get a starting point before making an actual test strip.

I've even placed 2 or 3 of them on different sections of a larger print to get starting points for extensive dodging and burning.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies