Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > FADU YEARBOOK 2015

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th October 2015, 08:21 AM
Friend

[QUOTE=TonyMiller;105061]Rather than keep harping on with self-congratulatory bull about members being "bothered" or not, how about looking a bit deeper at what's going on here.

Looking a bit deeper into why members have not contributed to the yearbook is a valid point. I think most people on this site have busy lives and personal ideas on how they pursue their interest. No person should feel bad if they chose not to participate in the yearbook. It is supposed to be a bit of fun, a chance to see a collection of friends work in print in a book. I don't understand your comment "self congratulatory bull" anyone who sent in prints was guaranteed to have one print in the book good, bad or ugly. I for one don't feel superior to anyone who has not sent in prints. The word "bothered" may have been a poor choice of word, it implies a total lack of interest, I don't think people on this site are not interested in photography.
Old 21st October 2015, 10:19 PM
Friend

There are sites out there where you can build the book, publish and then people can buy as they want. Zero outlay for Les or anyone else and no skin off anyones nose if no-one buys it. I for one would like to get a copy - and maybe the way for the future is to do something different. We all get stale doing the same things year to year. What about a 24 hour project instead, or a book from the print exchange << just examples....
Old 22nd October 2015, 05:15 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisel View Post
What about a 24 hour project instead, or a book from the print exchange << just examples....
I have never taken part in the print exchange, but I like the idea of a book from it.
Old 22nd October 2015, 01:51 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisel View Post
There are sites out there where you can build the book, publish and then people can buy as they want. Zero outlay for Les or anyone else and no skin off anyones nose if no-one buys it. ...
This is exactly how last year's book was published - and this year's if it happens.

As for "Zero outlay", that may be true financially, but the work putting a book like this together is substantial (I've done it), so let's give Les his due.
Old 24th October 2015, 07:33 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Lincoln View Post
Being one of the 17 contributors you must certainly publish Les. It is just a shame that all your effort is for so few people who have contributed.

Derek
As a total newcomer I hope my comments are not considered out of turn.

Personally I think you've done well to get seventeen members sufficiently motivated to get involved. My experience of forums and groups in general is that there is always a small core of people who do most if not all of the work, a slightly larger group who regularly get involved and a majority who at best dip in and out as and when time and interest permit.

Good luck with the venture and I hope you are successful. Don't forget Blurb do a PDF option now so you could also offer an electronic version for members to purchase at very little cost - this might even get a few more interested!
Old 24th October 2015, 11:56 AM
Friend

You know, last year's book had only 19 contributors; so this year's 17 is not in itself a shocking drop. It is certainly a disappointment, given that we hoped that things would have grown a bit by now.

The best thing will be to leave it to Les McLean to judge whether he considers publication worthwhile or not. I contributed this year (and also last year) and shall be content with whatever he decides. The arguments on this thread haven't been very convincing either way.
Old 24th October 2015, 01:46 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
You know, last year's book had only 19 contributors; so this year's 17 is not in itself a shocking drop. It is certainly a disappointment, given that we hoped that things would have grown a bit by now.

The best thing will be to leave it to Les McLean to judge whether he considers publication worthwhile or not. I contributed this year (and also last year) and shall be content with whatever he decides. The arguments on this thread haven't been very convincing either way.
Thanks for your comments Michael. However, whilst 17 does not represent a shocking drop in this years entry I do feel that it is a poor response from a quite busy forum of analogue print makers. I wonder if some members realise how much work, organisation and time is required to complile a photo book.

I have bought and paid for a trial copy to see how it looks in print and have recieved an email advising me that the order is in transit. I'll post a link on the forum when I've checked it out.
Old 26th October 2015, 07:18 PM
Friend

Default FADU 2015 Yearbook LINK

I recieved a copy of the Yearbook this morning it looks OK and can be accessed using the link below.

http://www.blurb.co.uk/b/6536128-fadu-2015
Old 26th October 2015, 08:35 PM
Friend

Many thanks Les for giving your own time to put the book together, as well as having to purchase a copy to make it available to the rest of us.

steve
Old 26th October 2015, 08:57 PM
Friend

Looks great! Thanks, Les!!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies