Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd November 2015, 04:43 PM
Friend

The analogue v. digital theme has become analogous to a political campaign. No one expounds their own pluses simply points a finger at the opposition's weaknesses. Tedious,boring and unproductive.

That being said I'm not even sure I have a style after 40 years of taking photos. Much of what would be a style is influenced by the subject for me.
Old 3rd November 2015, 12:11 AM
Friend

Maybe a good rule of thumb is to pursue ones own ideal/vision and not worry too much about what others are doing. We here at FADU clearly tend to use traditional processes but this doesn't make us blind to other techniques, nor "anti" any alternative way.

Jake
Old 3rd November 2015, 10:41 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakecb View Post
Maybe a good rule of thumb is to pursue ones own ideal/vision and not worry too much about what others are doing. We here at FADU clearly tend to use traditional processes but this doesn't make us blind to other techniques, nor "anti" any alternative way. Jake
With respect Jake, I'd suggest you read through the many threads on FADU relating to the analogue/digital debate and you will find some quite disparaging remarks about digital photography. In fairness many of our members do say that they prefer the traditional photographic process but still use digital for some work.

My own view is that digital gives me another way of seeing and producing images as well as giving me full control in the production of colour prints. We are all entitled to have preferences and opinions which is as it should be but I do object strongly to the analogue photographers who rubbish digital photography and those who use it.
Old 3rd November 2015, 11:33 AM
Friend

I've been looking back at some photographs I made between 20 and 10 years ago and can honestly say that my style has changed subtly. Back then my images were generally printed darker and with more contrast than I do now. During that time I also experimented with digital photography. As Les and others have pointed out, it's just another way of seeing, another tool in the box. I didn't really enjoy it personally, mainly because I like a final print and my printer wasn't really up to the quality of what I was producing in the darktoom and I had no interest in colour photography.

So did that period of digital dabbling influence my 'style'? Probably not. The biggest change was leaving the local camera.club. I was increasingly disillusioned with the competitive element of club photography as to stand any chance of scoring well a picture had to have immediate impact. Punchy pictures with immediate impact were popular, more subtle images rarely even got talked about, irrespective of how they were made. I now make pictures for me that I like (if other people enjoy them that's a bonus!). I'm much happier with my photography than I was then.

Sorry for the ramble but thanks for making me think!

Last edited by Rob Archer; 3rd November 2015 at 11:37 AM.
Old 3rd November 2015, 11:37 AM
Friend

Default Changing style

Yes like Rob before I think he has put his finger on the button with regards to my 'style'. I used to print mono quite dark and will tend to do so if the subject would be suitable.

Colour of course has to be generally printed 'As Is' although on occasions they too have been darkened down.
Old 3rd November 2015, 12:36 PM
Friend

I don't think my photographic style has changed over the years.

I chosen to concentrate on different facets of it - but they are all variations on the central theme.

We all go through phases of lighter/darker and harder/softer prints, its only natural to do so.

Look at the great painters - they all had phases in their work.

To me, the most significant change over the years is my ability of express it - but that comes from years of personal experience and the advice of trusted friends on this forum.

Martin
Old 3rd November 2015, 05:02 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les McLean View Post
With respect Jake, I'd suggest you read through the many threads on FADU relating to the analogue/digital debate and you will find some quite disparaging remarks about digital photography.
Yes I am aware that such comments exist Les but ever the optimist I like to think that a more balanced view has taken hold now.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies