Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 21st December 2016, 08:32 PM
Friend

If all else fails in terms of seeking local listings then Secondhand Darkroom Supplies has a range of Dursts including a 605M. It might be worth a look. They are a lot more expensive that £64 but maybe SDS would be open to negotiation.

I would be surprised if SDS doesn't ensure that its enlargers are well packed and sent by a reliable carrier.

I have no idea how Hermes pays its delivery drivers but the danger is that cheaper delivery can bring its own problems. This isn't a concern if the items are well-packed with custom-made polystyrene packaging plus bubble wrap etc such as Amazon items are but individual sellers may not be able to either do a good enough packing job or simply underestimate rough treatment, especially in the run-up to Xmas.

Best of luck whatever you do to replace this enlarger and commiserations on probably not being able to get a replacement and set it up before Xmas.

Mike
Old 21st December 2016, 11:41 PM
Friend

From my own experience, many ebay sellers have no idea about packaging heavy but fragile equipment like this. My current enlarger for example, arrived partially dismantled in a very strong box, but with absolutely nothing to prevent the components smashing against each other. The courier could hardly be blamed for the resulting damage.
Old 29th December 2016, 10:44 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundH View Post
From my own experience, many ebay sellers have no idea about packaging heavy but fragile equipment like this. ...
I've recently bought, via eBay, a used Leitz Focomat V35. The seller very sensibly insisted on "Collection Only", so we enjoyed a pleasant visit to Kent where we collected the enlarger - dismantled and packed in a D-I-Y version of the foam polystyrene Leitz packaging. That was last November, and with Xmas etc. I'm still working towards clearing my darkroom, and getting it back into use. Some years ago, when I bought a Valoy enlarger via eBay, it was delivered free to Milton Keynes!

With smaller items, I've found most eBay suppliers to pack their parcels quite well.
Old 30th December 2016, 09:19 PM
Friend

+1 for Second-hand Dark Room Supplies.
Trustworthy and knowledgeable.
Old 30th December 2016, 10:07 PM
Friend

Well, the seller has still not got back to me since the refund. He said he was going to get in touch with Hermes re compensation and let me know about sending everything back. I have tested the enlarger and it actually works reasonably well, despite the damage to the guides and riser rail. From previous correspondence with the seller, it would seem he really doesn't want the hassle of getting it sent back, even suggesting that i dispose of it as it is worthless. Not sure where to go from here with this one!
Old 30th December 2016, 11:12 PM
Friend

If I have understood the situation correctly, he has refunded your money but seems not to want the item back. I'd contact him and ask that he confirms, in writing, your suspicions( they seem to be more than just suspicions if he has stated that it is worthless) that he does not want the item back.

I'd even give a date( make it a reasonable date in the future) by which if he has not made his wishes clear in writing that you are free to do with the item as you wish.

I am not a buyer/ seller law expert but I'd be surprised if this does not keep you the right side of the law.

It may be that he regards the case as being closed and does not wish to further engage with it

Mike
Old 31st December 2016, 09:51 AM
Friend

If you are planning to buy the same enlarger again, with the refund, why not dismantle the enlarger and keep it for spares ?

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 31st December 2016, 01:07 PM
Friend

Default Enlarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
If I have understood the situation correctly, he has refunded your money but seems not to want the item back. I'd contact him and ask that he confirms, in writing, your suspicions( they seem to be more than just suspicions if he has stated that it is worthless) that he does not want the item back.

I'd even give a date( make it a reasonable date in the future) by which if he has not made his wishes clear in writing that you are free to do with the item as you wish.

I am not a buyer/ seller law expert but I'd be surprised if this does not keep you the right side of the law.

It may be that he regards the case as being closed and does not wish to further engage with it

Mike

I think the term you are looking for here Mike is:-

'Taking all reasonable steps'
Old 1st January 2017, 10:47 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
I think the term you are looking for here Mike is:-

'Taking all reasonable steps'
Well, as the timer works I thought it only fair to offer a nominal sum for that, on the understanding that I don't have to send the damaged enlarger back. So I emailed the seller and proposed this as a solution. He accepted. So if he does get compensation from Hermes then he wins, if not, at least he's not completely out of pocket. Everybody's happy! All will be in writing. Thanks for all the advice guys, Garry
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies