Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > New products and offers

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th June 2019, 02:59 PM
Friend

Default Ilford - 10% reduction of all Delta films until 5th July

Ilford's latest offer and it give me a chance to announce a change of my policy in making these announcements

In the future I'll do a quite check to see roughly where this leaves Ilford prices vis a vis our own sponsors. If the offer doesn't really offer anything or very little then I'll pass on the announcement.

I admit I only checked on D3200 film in 120 but even with 10% off it still leaves Ilford's price appreciably higher than say AgPhotographic and even higher when you compare Sharif Photographic Supplies.

I cannot work out Ilford's strategy behind these series of limited time offers although this one is at least 7 days, if the offers are not really offers. I suppose that if Ilford is aiming at the whole film user populace then there may be enough people who do not track prices to make it a worthwhile strategy.

Maybe we have moved into an era where any percentage reduction is seen as an automatic bargain.

I am reducing the price of my house this weekend by 50% Just a pity for prospective buyers that it was 60 % overvalued in the first place

I can feel an attack of jaundice coming on so I'll stop now

Mike
Old 28th June 2019, 04:08 PM
Friend

Mike BOG OF now that would be music to my wallet
Old 28th June 2019, 06:53 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
I am reducing the price of my house this weekend by 50% Just a pity for prospective buyers that it was 60 % overvalued in the first place

I can feel an attack of jaundice coming on so I'll stop now

Mike
Hmmm...seems like the deal of the decade Mike .

Lemme check the math here...

If A is new price, and B is current market value, then

A = (B x 1.6)/2
A= 1.6B/2
A= 0.8B or 20% below market value

See? A bargain to be had here. Pull the For Sale sign off the lawn, lower the blinds and bolt the doors

(Mike's jaundice gets 50% worse right about now...)
Old 29th June 2019, 11:25 AM
Friend

You've totally baffled me there Svend, but I'll take your word on the maths!

Terry S
Old 29th June 2019, 12:49 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
You've totally baffled me there Svend, but I'll take your word on the maths!

Terry S
Terry I'll need to think about my analogies more in the future. Svend is absolutely correct. My house is really worth £100 but I have overvalued it by 60% so it is normally on the market for £160. If having overvalued it by 60% I then reduce it by 50% from the overvalued price of £160 it is now £80 and they are forming a queue for the bargain of the century

What I was of course driving at was that if the normal price is grossly overvalued then when I take a lot off the price it still leaves me in considerable instead of very high profit .

I should have drawn the parallel with a famous U.K. furniture company that on every bank holiday the directors of which "lose their minds" and in a moment of madness sell the three piece suites with an amazing mark down and this, surprise, surprise, reduces the price to more or less what the real market price is.

These directors are complete clowns, you the gullible consumer, are supposed to think and you then take advantage of this clownish behaviour. They are in fact the kind of clowns who clown all the way to the bank

Mike
Old 29th June 2019, 01:47 PM
Friend

Mike, install an air conditioning unit you could sell it this weekend for twice the price . Your heatwave is making the news over here.
Old 29th June 2019, 03:07 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svend View Post
Mike, install an air conditioning unit you could sell it this weekend for twice the price . Your heatwave is making the news over here.
As my friend Frank( as in he who crooned at Las Vegas ) once said: "The great thing about England is that you get all four seasons - usually on the same afternoon!

Mike
Old 30th June 2019, 11:45 AM
Friend

thank god for that ,for a moment I thought you was going to sing
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies