Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 4th August 2011, 05:14 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeha Lynch View Post
I'm surprised they could have let a length of pinholey fabric past their QC. I bought bellows from them once and the vinyl (I presume) was very good. Mind, I doubt you'd ever find leather bellows cheap these days since it needs special treatment to get rid of the hair holes.

Would you consider a fashion statement for your next ??

Yes, I too am concerned about their QC

Love the poker-dot bellows. I thought of red, but not that
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 4th August 2011, 05:49 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
Hi Jon, no, it wont replace my Ebony, far too heavy and bulky but it does offer a comprehensive range of movements. I particularly like the geared rise. It also handles longer lenses well which my Ebony SW doesn't do too well without some form of extension. Because of the longer bellows draw it will be great for close-up work, if I ever get round to it

As I mentioned it was a freebie, so I want to get it up to speck so I can use it to my liking.
Trevor,
I thought that maybe for that reason as 180mm bellows draw can a bit limiting.
Have some fun with some 1/1 closeups they can be beautiful.
J.

http://real-silver-prints.com/

"I Prefer it in the Dark"
Old 4th August 2011, 07:51 AM
Friend

Surely a 10 minute test at their factory along the lines of Trevor's test wouldn't be too much to ask? After all, this thread may come up on a search engine.........
Old 4th August 2011, 03:25 PM
Friend

I contacted them today and the chap I spoke with was quite alarmed that this should happen. It could be a faulty batch of material or possible over compression of the material during manufacture of the bellows. Whatever the cause he reassured me it will be 'sorted'. I also expressed my concern regarding QC, he again apologised and said these things do happen. Personally I don't think something like this should happen, the test I performed is easy to do and once ones eyes are dark adapted, about 10 minutes, even very small pin holes are visible.

I've sent it back to them so lets see if it returns fit for purpose.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 4th August 2011, 03:29 PM
Friend

Trevor,

Maybe it was made on a Friday afternoon Good to hear they are going to sort it out for you without any hassle.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 4th August 2011, 04:32 PM
Friend

Maybe a quick but what has now turned out to be a perfunctory check in your case, Trevor, has always stood them in good stead. As time is money when you are in business then I can understand how they might be tempted not to take a QC check to a greater degree than seemed necessary.

If I have sold a thousand bellows and work on relatively low profit margins and yours is the first defective one to get to the customer then I might think this is an acceptable rate.

The key is to show concern and translate that into immediate rectification for the customer.

Mike
Old 4th August 2011, 04:42 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
Love the poker-dot bellows. I thought of red, but not that
Now I'm really disappointed.

But I'm sure CB will deliver on their promise.
Old 4th August 2011, 04:59 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Maybe a quick but what has now turned out to be a perfunctory check in your case, Trevor, has always stood them in good stead. As time is money when you are in business then I can understand how they might be tempted not to take a QC check to a greater degree than seemed necessary.

If I have sold a thousand bellows and work on relatively low profit margins and yours is the first defective one to get to the customer then I might think this is an acceptable rate.

The key is to show concern and translate that into immediate rectification for the customer.

Mike
You are quite right Mike.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 4th August 2011, 09:59 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeha Lynch View Post
I'm surprised they could have let a length of pinholey fabric past their QC. I bought bellows from them once and the vinyl (I presume) was very good. Mind, I doubt you'd ever find leather bellows cheap these days since it needs special treatment to get rid of the hair holes.

Would you consider a fashion statement for your next ??

That will looks so sweet on my Konica Pearl

Sorry, Trevor, not trying to hijack the thread.
I also wish you a non-holey bellow on the second round.
Old 8th August 2011, 04:49 PM
Friend

The next step in this crazy saga - sent bellows back to Custom Bellows via 1st class Recorded Delivery last week - did a track 'n' trace today only to find out it was being returned to sender

After contacting Custom Bellows today they informed me it had not arrived and oddly the post office normally try to deliver twice before returning items. I know I packed it well and addressed it clearly and correctly.

So now I've got to wait for its return before I again send it back. Next time I'll use Special Delivery.

Do others ever get the feeling that some undertakings are just destined not to go smoothly?

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies