Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Members Announcements

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th January 2021, 11:49 AM
Friend

Default LockDown Walks and Darkroom Prints --

I have done a VIDEO about my 'LockDown Walks with Old Cameras and Old Film' and show the cameras I used and sets of Darkroom Prints with the stories behind them , here :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqiMJWPB9H0&t=3s
Old 30th January 2021, 02:04 PM
Friend

Hi Pete its great to see you are looking well ,I think I have seen all of your videos except the digital camera ones . As usual I really enjoyed your video ,,But don't tell the wife .I have been shooting X-ray film mostly of the dogs as I cannot go out In this cold wet weather ( my mobility scooter has not seen the light for months ) because of my problems .

hope to see more soon

essexcockney.com
Old 30th January 2021, 09:16 PM
Friend

Pete I have to say that in terms of the good stuff you have been given for free you have been very lucky. As a friend of mine from your neck of the woods would have said: "That Pete is so lucky that if he falls into a muddy ditch he comes out with a new Savile Row suit

On a slightly more serious note I too noticed that for the recommended dev times Neopan 400 always seemed to be a more contrasty film than say HP5+ or the Delta 400

I still have some in a bulk roll and must try reducing the dev time slightly

How do you manage to flatten what sounds like FB paper based on your mention of double weight? All the prints look remarkably flat

Keep exercising and getting fresh air. It's a better medicine that most of us give it credit for

Mike
Old 1st February 2021, 05:10 PM
Friend

Thanks for al your views and comments ! Those FB D/W prints were dried on an old Photax Flatbed Dryer/ Glazer. for the Glossy ones I Squeegeed them onto a Chrome Glazing Plate on the floor on some Newspaper ( Don't tell The Wife ! )
Old 3rd February 2021, 01:19 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentaxpete View Post
Thanks for al your views and comments ! Those FB D/W prints were dried on an old Photax Flatbed Dryer/ Glazer. for the Glossy ones I Squeegeed them onto a Chrome Glazing Plate on the floor on some Newspaper ( Don't tell The Wife ! )
I used one of the dryer / glazing machines in my youth Pete, when just starting out.

As far as I remember, I never managed to get a single print dried with a glossy surface over the full print. The bits that were glazed were VERY glossy, but it didn't seem to matter how scrupulously clean I kept the plate, I never got the whole surface to be mirrored.

I eventually gave up and laid them surface upwards, against the cloth, using it just to dry the prints.

Someone gave me a glazer recently, as they had given up on darkroom work, so if I can get a new cloth for it (as it is REALLY filthy!) but these clothes seem hard to find...? I'll give it another go if I get one and then see if I'm successful second time around.

Terry S
Old 3rd February 2021, 08:50 PM
Friend

When i got my dryer/glazer second hand, the first thing i did was take the cloth off and stick it in the washing machine at a high temp.....seems to have cleaned it well.

While it was still damp, i put it back on the glazer to retake the shape and tension.

Mike
Old 3rd February 2021, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
<snip>
Someone gave me a glazer recently, as they had given up on darkroom work, so if I can get a new cloth for it (as it is REALLY filthy!) but these clothes seem hard to find...? I'll give it another go if I get one and then see if I'm successful second time around.

Terry S
Are they made of muslin? Get a yard of unbleached muslin or light canvas off ebay and dig out the old sewing machine
Old 4th February 2021, 12:52 PM
Friend

To get a good glaze in 'Hard Water areas' I dump the prints into a dish of Filtered Water with some wetting agent in it then it seems to get rid of any particles. I got a FREE BRITA water filter jug off 'Trash Nothing' site.
Old 4th February 2021, 01:07 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Are they made of muslin? Get a yard of unbleached muslin or light canvas off ebay and dig out the old sewing machine
It looks like an unbleached canvas, and having a sewing machine, I might well revert to making a new one.

I did find a seller of new cloth covers some years ago. I can't remember where though, but I do remember spluttering at the price asked for one, so I think I'd splutter even more if I track one down, with the raised price because of inflation!

Terry S
Old 5th February 2021, 11:28 AM
Print Exchange Manager

A fine canvas sail cloth is what you want. I am sure that it will still be made. I live in a sailing district and but for the current police state and closed businesses I would go and have a look in the relevant places of which there are a number round here - an offcut would do? Perhaps when (or if) this current situation eases and you are in no hurry I will have a recce.

Cheers, Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies