Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Print Finishing

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th April 2011, 05:10 PM
Friend

Location: I live in central Massachusetts in the town of Barre (sounds like Barry).

I think that at least putting a photograph in a mat focuses attention on the image by giving space between it and the background. It is often the first time many of us actually step back and view our work as a whole. Stepping back is a very different perspective than the usual darkroom working distances.

Paul
Old 7th April 2011, 06:03 PM
Friend

I find that a matted/mounted print looks, somehow, different, it seems to improve the overall finish and gives me a better perspective when I look at a mounted/matted print from the other side of a room,compared to a print in the hand,and I don't use white or off white mounts, I know it is personal preferance, but I like to see my prints matted in either dark grey or black, and most people who see my finished seem to like it, for me the darker colours seem to somehow hold it in,Richard
Old 7th April 2011, 06:07 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miha View Post
Why do we mount our photographs, frame them, put them them on walls...so that they end up as nice pieces of furniture? Photos are not paintings after all.

Is there an alternative way to present them without matting and cowering them with glass (why glass?!).

I like to fondle photographs in my hand, look at the up close, look at them at an angle, look at the surface,...not possible when photos are encapsulated and hung.

Well, I'm thinking out loud here, so forgive my writing haste.
Miha, I suppose the answer depends on whether you think the print is precious.
Old 7th April 2011, 06:19 PM
Friend

Interesting views on the topic. So I suppose there is a general view that a photograph needs something to supplement it in order to grab our attention, to improve its finish, to separate it from the background,...whereas a painting can stand and hold on its own.

My view on this is slightly more courageous.
Old 7th April 2011, 06:40 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
Miha, I suppose the answer depends on whether you think the print is precious.
Clive, precious in what way? I had a student job at a local newspaper in 1998. There was a defunct darkroom with boxes full of 8x10 prints with notes on the back that kept me busy every day during the brakes. I've enjoyed every single hour looking at them. Yes, they were very precious to me.
Old 7th April 2011, 08:01 PM
Friend

Wink

I'm sure that cleverer people than me will be able to explain this, but are we not looking at social conditioning here, that is, our expectation of how images are presented?

Many of will be aware of the changes being brought about by digital media, presentation only in electronic form of images, I guess that on FADU a appreciation of values, craft and quality drives many of us?

I don't think that framing photos is a throwback to framing paintings, but there are parallels, and art historians will be abe to demonstrate better than I can explain.

Going for a lie down, who was it that said "If I could explain what I mean I wouldn't take photographs." Ahem

http://graemestarkphotography.blogspot.com/
Old 7th April 2011, 08:15 PM
Friend

Quote:
Clive, precious in what way? I had a student job at a local newspaper in 1998. There was a defunct darkroom with boxes full of 8x10 prints with notes on the back that kept me busy every day during the brakes. I've enjoyed every single hour looking at them. Yes, they were very precious to me.
Precious in the way that you wish to protect the print and avoid people sneezing on it, touching it, or damaging it, unique, unrepeatable, a work of fine are, or just a representation of the image.
Old 7th April 2011, 08:37 PM
Friend

I have seen many exhibitions that have just had prints unmounted, and I have exhibited this way and it works for some exhibitions, but some work looks better mounted.
Paintings which show brush marks integral to the look of the painting don't really work under glass, but most are framed. You do see most watercolours under glass when mounted, so possibly its a texture thing.
Protection is definitely a big part of mounting and framing.

Neil
Old 7th April 2011, 08:38 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
Precious in the way that you wish to protect the print and avoid people sneezing on it, touching it, or damaging it, unique, unrepeatable, a work of fine are, or just a representation of the image.
It could be both or none, but my general view is that a print can be made over and over again. How does this answer my dilemma on print presentation?
Old 7th April 2011, 08:45 PM
Friend

Quote:
It could be both or none, but my general view is that a print can be made over and over again. How does this answer my dilemma on print presentation?
Your general view means you have no dilemma and you can display prints however you wish, drawing pins, clothes pegs, blue tack, sellotape, need I go on?
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies