Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd April 2014, 09:36 PM
Friend

Default Colour Film choice??

A friend is getting married in a couple of weeks. The happy couple have elected to go with NO pro photographer. Instead, they hope to collect a set of informal commemorative pictures from the guests.
However, as 'the guy with the cameras' I have been asked to shoot a couple of portraits in the church.
I'm expecting a typical church interior- contrasty light with pools of shadow.
I'm thinking of shooting with the Voigtlander 667: not very wide BUT good bright viewfinder. Quick to compose, slightly bigger neg area than my C330s and maybe a better shape for portraits. I'm also thinking about using something around ISO 400 which I can hand hold in the Voigtlander (smooth shutter!) while packing a flashgun just in case the day is gloomy and the interior light is too poor.
So, as someone who shoots B&W all the time, any recommendations for a fast(ish) colour neg with nice palette for portraits???
Old 23rd April 2014, 09:42 PM
Friend

Go for Portra 400. I've never shot it but its well regarded and should be just the ticket.
Old 23rd April 2014, 10:13 PM
Friend

I can only repeat DaveP's comments. My impression( note: not personal knowledge) is that Portra 400 has the latitude to be pushed to 800 if the light is poor but I'd do some research into this aspect. I imagine that flash might not be welcome in church but if it is then flash solves most if not all speed problems

I take it that as far North as you are, the tanned look isn't a requirement and might even look strange. If extra warmth is welcome( that's colour warmth - real warmth might always be welcome in Stornoway ) then Fuji Superia might meet the bill very well.

When I last spoke to the local mini-lab owner who doubles as a wedding photographer she swore by Fuji Superia

Mike
Old 23rd April 2014, 10:32 PM
Friend

Consider the successor to Fuji NPH, Fujicolor Pro 400H.
Old 23rd April 2014, 11:53 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
A friend is getting married in a couple of weeks. The happy couple have elected to go with NO pro photographer. Instead, they hope to collect a set of informal commemorative pictures from the guests.
However, as 'the guy with the cameras' I have been asked to shoot a couple of portraits in the church.
I'm expecting a typical church interior- contrasty light with pools of shadow.
I'm thinking of shooting with the Voigtlander 667: not very wide BUT good bright viewfinder. Quick to compose, slightly bigger neg area than my C330s and maybe a better shape for portraits. I'm also thinking about using something around ISO 400 which I can hand hold in the Voigtlander (smooth shutter!) while packing a flashgun just in case the day is gloomy and the interior light is too poor.
So, as someone who shoots B&W all the time, any recommendations for a fast(ish) colour neg with nice palette for portraits???
I've used Portra 400 and it's probably ideal for your requirements. The colour is realistic. It seems to have a wide exposure latitude. It is what I'd choose in your circumstances.

richard
Old 24th April 2014, 08:12 AM
Friend

Looks like Portra 400 for me.
Found some samples on the 'net. It's hard to judge on a monitor, but the Portra seems to hold the highlights better than the Fuji, and appears to cope better with underexposure.
It'll be the first Kodak product I've bought in years! When I do dabble in colour I use Velvia, but that won't do for this occasion.
Cheers Guys!
Old 24th April 2014, 12:12 PM
Friend

Certainly, skellum, when I look at the gallery on another site I have discovered that all of the colour shots I like are all Portra.

Mike
Old 25th April 2014, 06:38 PM
Friend

I have used Portra 400 too. I think it's the best there is. It push processes well too if you need it to.
For indoor shots and outdoor in really poor weather I have found portra 800 very good indeed. It works really well pushed to 1600. I seem to remember something about it being discontinued; I hope that isn't the case as I'm down to my last roll.
Old 29th April 2014, 08:44 PM
Friend

My first choice is always Portra 160 - http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/new...-160-372-c.asp

Yes, its a little slower than the 400 but the results are superb and will stand being blown up to 20x16 from 6x6 without grain.

If you are worried about low light levels in a church for instance - then use a small tripod.

Remember to use fill-in flash outdoors in bright sunlight - use an Auto setting at about 1 stop less than ambient light works well.

Have fun

Martin
Old 30th April 2014, 08:59 AM
Friend

Thanks Martin.
I have gone with the Portra 400, as the weather forecast is poor. Will be using a camera with leaf shutter, so flash sync at all speeds. It will make the use of fill in flash easier, though I hadn't even considered that- I'm very much a natural light guy. I had planned to take a flash only as my emergeny do-or-die fall back position.
On consideration, though, a little judicious fill might add sparkle if the light is too dreary.
Cheers!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies