Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th October 2014, 09:48 PM
Friend

Default Top ten tips for being a successful poet

I was reading Andrew Motion's Top Ten Tips for being a Successful Poet on the BBC website and about half way through I thought there was a marked similarity with photography. You can see them here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29538180

Here are the tips again, slightly altered for the subject in hand (with humble apologies to AM):

1 Let your subject find you
2 Tap into your own feelings
3 Photograph subjects that matter to you
4 Celebrate the ordinary and be choosy
5 Use everything in your toolbox
6 if you get stuck, go for a walk or wash your hair
7 Let your work be open to interpretation
8 Print your negatives
9 Find the right time to photograph and to print
10 Read a lot, revise and perservere

I especially like his quote from Emily Dickenson "Tell the truth, but tell it slant".

Michael
Old 12th October 2014, 10:57 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMiguel View Post
6 if you get stuck, [...] wash your hair
<grumble><mumble> Fine if one has some hair to wash....
Old 13th October 2014, 01:47 AM
Friend

The ten tips are fine as follow-ons to the first imperative: obtain a command of how the technology works.

Operating the entire photography cycle from subject management, camera management, production and finishing should be as familiar and easy as breathing. Then its time to get into the big and rewarding challenges of aesthetics.

The same applies to poetry. I determined to master some of the art by daily writing a quatrain of iambic pentameter with the rhyme sequence of ABBA. The quatrain also had to include a caesura and an enjambment. After a year of this I tried other feet such as trochees and anapests. Net result? Poetry is too hard and I'd better stick to photography!
The word Photography first uttered and defined by its author Sir John Herschel at Somerset House, London on the evening of March 14, 1839: quote "Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation" unquote.
Old 13th October 2014, 01:56 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maris View Post
The ten tips are fine as follow-ons to the first imperative: obtain a command of how the technology works.

Operating the entire photography cycle from subject management, camera management, production and finishing should be as familiar and easy as breathing. Then its time to get into the big and rewarding challenges of aesthetics.

The same applies to poetry. I determined to master some of the art by daily writing a quatrain of iambic pentameter with the rhyme sequence of ABBA. The quatrain also had to include a caesura and an enjambment. After a year of this I tried other feet such as trochees and anapests. Net result? Poetry is too hard and I'd better stick to photography!
So you're not a poet and didn't know it.
Old 13th October 2014, 08:37 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maris View Post

So you were a poet and blew it.
Old 14th October 2014, 12:02 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
So you were a poet and blew it.
Basically yes! Word pictures are more difficult than eye pictures.

Poetry is a lot more than turning the face to the sky, putting the hand over the heart, and holdin' forth while the feelin' moves ya. Although I suspect a lot of Americans since Walt Whitman think that's all there is to it.

A parallel in photography could be the idea that profligrate camera work guarantees excellence somehow and eventually.
The word Photography first uttered and defined by its author Sir John Herschel at Somerset House, London on the evening of March 14, 1839: quote "Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation" unquote.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies