Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th March 2020, 08:37 AM
Friend

[QUOTE=Rob Archer;132022]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
The camera looks great, Rob. Is the 28mm the equivalent of a ‘long’ standard lens on a full frame camera?
Alex

No, because the camera works in 'portrait' format it's still slightly wide. It roughly has the same coverage as a 40mm lens on 35mm. It's a great travel camera!
The Pen 'D' had a different lens, which if I remember correctly it was 32mm which would correspond with Rob's estimate. I always thought of that as similar to a standard 50mm. The standard lens on the Pen FT SLR made by Olympus was even longer, again if I remember correctly was 38mm which would have made it an equivalent of a Biotar F2 which was 58mm
Old 29th March 2020, 01:52 PM
Friend

[QUOTE=John King;132134]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post

The Pen 'D' had a different lens, which if I remember correctly it was 32mm which would correspond with Rob's estimate. I always thought of that as similar to a standard 50mm. The standard lens on the Pen FT SLR made by Olympus was even longer, again if I remember correctly was 38mm which would have made it an equivalent of a Biotar F2 which was 58mm
I've always fancied a Pen FT with 25mm, 38mm, and 70mm lenses.
Old 29th March 2020, 04:10 PM
Friend

[QUOTE=Rob Archer;132149]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post

I've always fancied a Pen FT with 25mm, 38mm, and 70mm lenses.
They cost an arm and a leg these days, but the lenses so I have been told are up to the standard of the best of the day, however I remember there was a question mark over the shutter design and could be a bit 'iffy'.
Old 5th April 2020, 02:11 AM
Friend

I have been repeatedly warned by my tech never to buy a Pen F series - he says the shutter design was too much for the materials and it gets impossible to fix.

But the Pen D series...as said above, a phenomenal lens. And a simple camera, not too hard to fix.
Old 18th June 2021, 02:10 AM
Friend

I was in Vietnam, as a military policeman, red caps to you. One day I had to investigate a fatal traffic accident between an American serviceman, driver, and a Vietnamese National victim. I realized right away I needed photos. Cameras were not issued, I headed to the local PX, were I bought an Olympus Pen EE, half frame. Back at the accident scene I loaded a role of B&W film. Controls were simple, I did not have time for fancy. I finished the investigation, dropped the film off at the Vietnamese photo shop in town. When I got the film back I was surprised by the quality and sharpness of that little camera. When a senior investigator was reviewing my report he liked the photos. I had that camera for years until it died.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies