Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 11th March 2016, 08:47 PM
Friend

I think people here would be rather surprised just how light-weight you can be with a good 5x4 kit. Because I began living in Turkey 10 years ago I put together a second 5x4 kit and in view of working in quite excessive heat wanted something light and portable.

Initially I used a Crown Graphic but they have limited movements and used it with a 150mm CZJ f4.5 T (coated) Tessar, and a 90mm f6.8 Angulon, and a 203mm f7.7 Ektar. Later switching to a Super Graphic bought when back in the UK, it has all the movements I need. With 6 DDS, a meter and a small Slik tripod it all fits in quite a small rucksack.

That's a small bottle of water and a Yashicamat 124 alongside the backpack.it's way less than I'd need for an RB67

Ian
Old 17th March 2016, 07:01 AM
Friend

It's going to depend on your budget and what 'affordable' means to you. Compared to a modern quality DSLR, all medium format cameras are excellent value!

If you are wanting interchangeable lenses, then you are i think limited to the mamiya 7 and some 6*7 SLRs, such as a mamiya rz67. The mamiya 7 is a lovely camera system, with great lenses, proper ultra-wide angle support, and modern features such as a light meter!

If you are happy with a fixed lens, then the Fuji GS670 would be cheaper than the mamiya 7. The image quality is excellent, but i'm pretty sure there is only a 90mm available which is a bit long for my liking. I've got a fuji gsw690 which is a 65mm lens, and on 6*9 this gives a great wide view.

You could of course get a 6*9, and only print the middle 6*7 for now ;-)

My other less useful suggestion would be to skip 4*5 and go straight to 8*10 and contact print rather than enlarge, go on, you know this makes sense!
Old 23rd April 2016, 10:27 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
If you want to dip your toe in a bigger size then why not try a Folder? there are a lot that take 68, just slightly bigger, and reasonably priced that would give you an idea, although, To be honest, the difference in quality between your Rollei at 66, or even 645, you would be very hard pressed to find a real difference, I have tried it, got a Ensign Selfix 820 and the only difference I could find was the shape of the negative, If you want to go bigger than 66 to get better quality the LF is the way to go, Personally, I am quite content shooting 645 or 66, with various Rollei's and folders
Richard

I concur with Richard on the quality of old folders. I have been playing with these for a few months now and am finding quite a few limitations in image quality and usability. Most have triplet lenses which don't get sharp until about f8 or more. The better ones have Tessar-type optics, but they can be pricey, about the same as a MF slr. Shutter speeds usually max out at 1/250. The viewfinders are tiny, the controls can be tiny. But worst of all is trying to see the frame numbers in the little red windows - virtually impossible in low light. In short, they can be fiddly and squinty to use.

On the plus side, they are a cheap way to get a big neg - I paid about C$75 for each of mine. They are capable of excellent image quality if you get a good one, and can work with the limited aperture and shutter speed range. And their portability is wonderful for the price.

Bottom line - you'd have to get one with good glass to come close to your Rollei in image quality, even with the bigger neg. I have a Rolleiflex 3.5F Planar, and it beats my folders hands down in sharpness, contrast and tonality.

If you want to look at getting one, let me know and I can recommend a few to look for. An Ensign like Richard's would not be a bad choice at all - I've not seen one here in Canada, but have heard they are very nice indeed.

Best of luck in the search.

Last edited by Svend; 23rd April 2016 at 10:35 PM.
Old 24th April 2016, 06:20 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvendN View Post
I concur with Richard on the quality of old folders. I have been playing with these for a few months now and am finding quite a few limitations in image quality and usability. Most have triplet lenses which don't get sharp until about f8 or more. The better ones have Tessar-type optics, but they can be pricey, about the same as a MF slr. Shutter speeds usually max out at 1/250. The viewfinders are tiny, the controls can be tiny. But worst of all is trying to see the frame numbers in the little red windows - virtually impossible in low light. In short, they can be fiddly and squinty to use.

On the plus side, they are a cheap way to get a big neg - I paid about C$75 for each of mine. They are capable of excellent image quality if you get a good one, and can work with the limited aperture and shutter speed range. And their portability is wonderful for the price.

Bottom line - you'd have to get one with good glass to come close to your Rollei in image quality, even with the bigger neg. I have a Rolleiflex 3.5F Planar, and it beats my folders hands down in sharpness, contrast and tonality.

If you want to look at getting one, let me know and I can recommend a few to look for. An Ensign like Richard's would not be a bad choice at all - I've not seen one here in Canada, but have heard they are very nice indeed.

Best of luck in the search.
Svend,
I use folders for a lot of my photography, I have a large collection of them and find that stopped down to 8 there is no real difference between them and cameras with ''better''lenses, but the difference between the frame sizes is so small as to be hard to see, but I personally have both a rolleiflex, with a tesser lens, and a rolleicord, with the xenotar lens, and I would match my Ensign with the Ensar lens, or my Ikonta with a Nova lens, with them, My other Ensigns have a Ross xpress lens, which in my opion beats a tessar lens so the difference in quality I am talking about is not to do with the lens but the film format, These folders are only limited by having a fixed lens, and that, once you get used to it . is not a real problem.in fact these days when I take my Bronica ETR out, which is a rare event these days, I find that I tend to stick to the 75mm lens,
Richard
Old 24th April 2016, 07:01 AM
Friend

Are there any old folders with decent viewfinders? My experience was most of them had nasty tiny squinty finders, which for me ruined the experience.
Old 24th April 2016, 12:26 PM
Friend

I have 4 with large viewfinders, they are fold down viewfinders that open up to a large finder. at least I think so. I find them very usable.
3 are ensign, the 820.220, and 1620 also the Ikonta B, and there are others that I know of, just don't own.
Richard
Old 24th April 2016, 04:46 PM
Friend

Hi Richard,

As you probably noted, my experience with folders is rather limited. I took both of mine - a Franka Rolfix IIE w. Trinar, and Agfa Isolette II w. Apotar - out for their first real world test shoot this weekend in downtown Detroit. I quickly learned what works for me and what doesn't.

The Agfa, while much more compact than the Franka, is just too fiddly for me. Microscopically small index mark for the shutter speed setting that is impossible to see in low light; ditto trying to see the film numbers through the little red window except in bright sun; and it has a small focus ring and distance scale digits.

The Franka is much more useable - focus ring and distance scale are bigger; it has a nice bright rangefinder; the film number windows on the back are brighter (but still a challenge to see in low light); and it has a 40.5mm filter thread so I am able to use my existing 49mm filters with a cheap step-up adaptor. Nice camera! For what I want it for - a compact travel/hiking/cycling camera - it will do just fine and it's a keeper. Unless the Agfa wows me with it's image quality, I will probably sell it. Initial lens tests show the Trinar is significantly sharper and has more crisp contrast than the Apotar, but the Detroit films will tell much. Having a big 6x9 negative is another big plus in favour of the Franka. I also have the 6x6 mask for it, making it pretty versatile.

Dave - FYI, both of these models have very small viewfinders, so probably not for you. I find them OK to work with - personal choice.

All in all though, excepting those infuriating little red film windows, the folders are marvellous cameras and great fun to use. Once i got my mind around their limitations, I really enjoyed using them yesterday. It sounds like you have a few nice ones in your arsenal, Richard. I have heard much about the quality of the Ensign models, and would love to find one here, but they seem very rare on this side of the pond.

I will start another post about replacing the red windows. If I can get that sorted, I will be much happier.

I hope I didn't discourage the OP from looking at these - just trying to make him aware of what he's getting into. Within their limits (of which there are several) they are great grab-n-go little cameras, a pleasure to carry around, and are capable of excellent results if one knows how to get the best from them.

Best,
Svend
Old 24th April 2016, 07:26 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvendN View Post

As you probably noted, my experience with folders is rather limited. I took both of mine - a Franka Rolfix IIE w. Trinar, and Agfa Isolette II w. Apotar - out for their first real world test shoot this weekend in downtown Detroit.
Best,
Svend
What! You crossed the border. Watch out for that guy Ness on the other side and don't bring anything stronger than coffee with you

Mike
Old 25th April 2016, 11:54 AM
Friend

Svend, I have been using folders for years now, in fact I wrote an article about living with and using these wonderful cameras in the Article section of the forum, Once you get used to the fixed lens and sometimes smaller viewfinders then you are away, as far as Ensign cameras are concerned, they are very solid, in that respect one of the best, and the Ross xpress lens in one of the best of the tessar type lenses made. I recently bought yet another Ensign, this time from the 40's. the 220 autorange with the Ensar lens. for many years the standard lens on the ensign's, a triplet and uncoated, this camera comes with a built in coupled rangefinder, and full lens focusing with the lens panel moving, and the results are great,
Richard
Old 25th April 2016, 12:55 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
What! You crossed the border. Watch out for that guy Ness on the other side and don't bring anything stronger than coffee with you

Mike
Yes, shocking isn't it? An expedition into the wilds of Detroit. Such bravery

Remarkably, on crossing the Customs agent showed no reaction to our declaration of two bottles of Canada's finest. He must have been hard of hearing.

Actually we had a great day, and met some wonderful people. So as not to repeat myself, I've given a brief description of this little Detroit project here:
http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...7&postcount=14

We're planning on another outing later this summer, as soon as we get back to visit the in-laws.

Mike - Eliot and I are old pals... https://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/eliot-ness
He's mellowed a lot in his later years. Still not much of a talker, though, but listens well now.

Richard - I will likely be in London with my family this coming winter. If I can break away from the gang I may seek out a dealer of vintage cameras if they happen to have an Ensign available. I may ping you beforehand for further insider knowledge into these models.

As for "living with folders", I came away from the weekend being very impressed by the Franka, but not so much by the Agfa. The red window thing could be a deal-breaker if I can't fix that issue. I suppose carrying a flashlight and reading glasses is a last resort, but certainly takes away from ease of use. First thing I will do is pop the pressure plate off and check the light trap back there (in the Franka it's held in by the 2 pressure springs which just tuck into place beneath two studs; piece of cake to get it in and out). If it looks good I will take the red plastic out entirely and try a test roll to see if it leaks -- there's a sliding cover to protect the film when not winding. I suspect it will be fine, as I have not seen any sign of leaks yet, and the red doesn't really do much to shield panchro films nowadays anyway, being intended for ortho films.

Bit of thread drift here, it seems -- apologies to the OP!

Last edited by Svend; 25th April 2016 at 12:58 PM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies