Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Filters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 20th March 2012, 10:13 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
My biggest issue with the orange and red filters is the way they kill the shadows - yes, it can be compensated for with exposure and development but I find it easier to live with the effect a yellow filter gives and add anything else at the printing stage.

Steve
Absolutely right! The shadows are already 5 or 6 stops below those beautiful white sunny-day clouds. Well exposed, well processed film can just handle that range but it is hurting for latitude and there is no margin for error.

Adding an orange or red filter drops the shadows another stop and a workable negative becomes a compromise or an exercise in Zone System N-1 development. Zone System is nice on sheet film but a nuisance to adapt to roll films.

My "secret" is to use a grad red filter on the sky so the clouds "pop" but terrestrial shadow detail remains unfiltered. To avoid a telltale filter line across the picture I keep the grad red above the horizon. This leaves the sky pale just above the horizon; the way it looks in reality. It's all a bit of a fudge; but a visually plausible one.
The word Photography first uttered and defined by its author Sir John Herschel at Somerset House, London on the evening of March 14, 1839: quote "Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation" unquote.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies