Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th March 2021, 06:30 PM
Friend

Default What have you done in lockdown photographically

As we are celebrating (?) one year of Covid lockdown in the UK, what have you done photographically in this time ?

I have spent at least some of each day in the darkroom working my way through my back catalogue of unprinted negatives.

I am nearly through them and have found a few unexpected gems lurking.

Goodness knows how many boxes of paper I have worked my way through (but its a heck of a lot) and have just finished a 5L bottle of Hypam that I started in mid May 2020.

Needless to say my recycling bin has been kept very busy across the year.

Martin
Old 24th March 2021, 06:43 PM
Friend

Spent lots of money buying new stuff, Lenses, Cameras, Enlarger and processor but very little photography. Have started planning and building my darkroom but it will take a while as have many jobs to do on the house first. Hopefully all the new kit I have bought will come in use later in the year in the darkroom.

David
Old 24th March 2021, 07:20 PM
Friend

For us in Jersey our lockdown started a week later than you last year, on March tha 30th so we will be remembering next week, in last Spring we were also luckier than you in that for our daily walk we could drive anywhere in the Island, so I wlaked and took photographs, spent large amounts pf time in the darkroom, and tried my hand at still life, this last lockdown only non essintial shops, and hospiyally was shut from end of November, the general public carried on as normal, so in between the rain,storms and general winter weather was out and about with camera, and when the weather was bad, which it was most of the time, the darkroom beckoned, so I have plenty of prints ready for the print exchanges, and now Spring has sprung our lockdown in over, so live is getting back to a covid normal.
Richard
Old 24th March 2021, 07:22 PM
Friend

Same here, Martin. Less making pictures, but more time printing. Digged up some negatives from 2008, which suit a new book project. Frank
Old 24th March 2021, 07:38 PM
Friend

I tried to make photographs as much as possible and ended with nearly a normal rate. Even in the hardest times we had the chance for small excurses in the near surroundings, 15 km at the moment. If you look closely, you find many places worth a visit. I was surprised that I did non know some of them and never had been there: Small lakes, smallish natural reservates or less known historical sites comes in my mind.
I sent out prints form this small trips in the FADU exchange.
Old 24th March 2021, 08:59 PM
Friend

I used up out of date paper, and printed contact sheets of loads of old family box camera negatives. Dating from between the wars to the sixties.
Sadly some faces and places will never have names put them as those who knew are no more.
Old 24th March 2021, 09:33 PM
Friend

Default This last (missing) year

The lockdown was a bit puzzling at first with too many contradicting instructions and advice. Who can blame them - it was a very fluid situation and changing so rapidly.

Anyway I stuck as close as I could to the rules, had my walks - about 2 miles three times a week and did the shopping. My partner who suffers from asthma and has a pacemaker fitted was terrified of going out.

In normal times I work/volunteer at an Industrial Museum and of course that was closed. Part of my job there is the site photographer and I have a massive database of pictures I have taken and a lot of their's. The management who were working had me copying and scanning images at home for various projects they have in mind which kept me busy.

When the relaxation took place I was out and about going further away as permitted using my m/cycle as transport and taking quite a lot of pictures and I am still sorting them out! I even managed a visit to my daughter and my two grandchildren who live in Wiltshire and met up with my son and his family in Derbyshire before they moved to Holland to live.

More photographs, more walks, more shopping, a hospital appointment to be told what was suspected to be a melanoma was wrong and I was given the all clear.

Work in the house, tiling, decorating, plumbing and partially rebuilding one of my bikes. The 2nd lock down was worse but we both managed it, and even went out together for short drives.

My latest project is scanning all my negs and making digital proof sheets so I can find a particular negative when I want. That is going to take me a long time.

Almost up to date now. From next Monday we can get out a bit more but we will have to remain sensible and alert. So for the rest of you out there take care as well.

Last edited by John King; 24th March 2021 at 09:36 PM.
Old 24th March 2021, 11:07 PM
Friend

I have been making battery packs one for my Fuji camera and will be starting on my Rolleiflex 6003 battery pack soon ,also been mucking about with X-ray film ,mostly photographing the dogs (sad bugger) ,,I bought a camera Fuji gx680 and been having lots of fun with that ,so photography wise I have been keeping busy over the lock down ,but cannot wait to photograph people again .OH and I had my jab ....
Old 25th March 2021, 07:56 AM
Friend

Martin, like you I have printed a lot from my negative archive. I kept a still life project going out in the garden shed. Also started photographing locally around a canal. Re built my website. Re furnished the darkroom, anything I could really to occupy myself before I’m told to do some gardening.

www.davidlingham.uk
Old 26th March 2021, 12:15 PM
Friend

I have also been doing a lot of printing from back catalog and also making a lot of still life images of house hold items that have been high lighted by shafts of light streaming through the house. using a lot of 400 iso film.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies