Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 20th June 2010, 08:59 AM
Friend

Default 35mm vs medium format

When I look at my situation when shooting medium format I often think I could do better shooting 35mm.
With a 35mm slr I can pretty much get away with the lightest,"budget" tripod, on a camera such as the Nikon F90x the metering is good, and such a small negative is pretty much flat in the carrier when it comes to printing.
When I shoot the mamiya it really has to be done on a sturdy (expensive) tripod, I would realistically need a much better meter than the old thing I use, and the negative should really be between glass when it comes to printing. None of the above being cheap.
So would I be right in thinking if it's quality i'm after then i'd probably get better results from using 35mm done well, rather than medium format cutting corners?
Any thoughts?
Old 20th June 2010, 09:29 AM
Friend

I suppose it depends ultimately on how you want to present your images.

If your looking to go BIG then the persevering with the MF is the way to go. However if the largest your going to do is 10x8 or just for the web then 35mm might give you what you want.

Then again I assume the reason you talking about the size of the camera is because your using a Mamiya 67?

If weight is an issue and you want to still get the large images/negatives then you could look at the Fuji 670 machines. Fixed lens, so you'll have change the way you look at things, high quality lens, light weight. big negs. I have a Fuji 690 and it is great but I do find the size of the neg an issue when trying to get it flat for the scanner.

But in answer to your question I think you would have to do 35mm very well if you are going to match MF on images of 20x16.
Old 20th June 2010, 10:06 AM
Friend

As a fairly (last year or so) convert to medium format, I have some sympathy with your assessment of the situation but I'm not sure that I completely agree with you. Sure you need a chunkier tripod for MF compared to 35mm, but I'm not sure that I'd want to use a cheap and cheerful tripod for 35mm anyway. Choose a good tripod and it could serve you for everything. On the subject of meters, how are your exposures turning out? If they're ok and printable, do you need a new meter? Like you, I have a glassless carrier for my 6x7 negs and have yet to notice problems with sharpness. Darkroom space means I'm limited to 9.5x12 inch paper, but I'm happy enough with the results I'm getting.

The really big thing for me is the change in philosophy that accompanies MF. There are plenty of times when my knees creak under the load of 14kg of RB67, 3 lenses, 2 backs and a tripod and I wonder why I do it. Then I see something that interests me. Rather than firing off a volley of frames, I stop, look hard, wander around checking viewing angles and perspectives and then think about setting up for a shot. Sure I won't win any prizes for wildlife and sports photography, but luckily I'm mostly interested in things that don't run away. When my RB is set up, I'm struggling to think of something nicer than what I can see through the finder. It's huge and bright and the mirror makes a very satisfying 'whoomph' as it flips when I fire the shutter. It's not to bad to shoot hand-held either.

That said, I wouldn't say it's an either/or situation. My Pentaxes have seen barely half a dozen films through them this year compared to the volume of 120 that I've shot, but there are times when the convenience of 35mm can't be beaten. The RB comes with me when I'm off out taking pictures, the 35mm when I'm off doing something else and I might just need a camera.

I've just re-read the Hicks and Schulz book on moving up to MF and LF from 35mm and their argument is that you can 'get away' with quite a lot and still produce better images with MF than you can with 35mm. If you haven't read it, I can really recommend it.

That's my 2p worth. Keep persevering.
Old 20th June 2010, 10:12 AM
Friend

Thankyou for that. Certainly added some clarity to my muddy mind
Old 20th June 2010, 10:51 AM
Friend

I'm quite enjoying shooting medium format at the moment as it's forcing me to stop and actually think before setting up and taking the shot but have to admit carrying everything is playing havoc with my angina A sturdy tripod doesn't have to break the bank though , I use an old Slik 88 which is quite a weighty lump but very sturdy and versatile .
At the moment I'm still mainly printing at 10x8 as it's cheaper and I'm still getting through lots of paper trying to get to grasps with everything home printing has to offer .

I have to admit though that sometimes I'll wish I had a 35mm camera with me for those spur of the moment opportunities and to put my wifes mind at rest as she's sure I'm going to be found slumped over my camera bag one day

Paul .
Old 20th June 2010, 10:59 AM
Friend

Jon, I see no point in using tripod with you Nikon. 35mm cameras were invented for hand held photography and are remarkably good at that. If you are interested in technical superiority (only) and want to print big, then go with the bigger film. That being said, I have made many 30x40 cm prints form 35mm that look superb (technically wise). But to do that, every step involved requires an extra attention (prime lenses, condensor enlarger, spotless negative to be enlarged,...).

The answer to your question
So would I be right in thinking if it's quality i'm after then i'd probably get better results from using 35mm done well, rather than medium format cutting corners?
is NO. (if by quality you mean less grain and better sharpness)

Miha
Old 20th June 2010, 11:03 AM
Friend

Default 35mmv Mf

Jon, for me the way to go is M.F. for the bulk of my work, and these days I mainly use either TLR or 120 Folders,I also have a bronica etr outfit,which includes both 50mm and 200 mm, and very rarely do I use aite tripod, I do use a monopod sometimes and can quite happily use the bronica and 200mm down to 15, I can handhold the folders and tlrs down to the same,due to the lack of mirror clunk,and if you need better tripod you can find something like a benbo for %50 to %60 second hand,and if you need a tripod then that investment will improve your 35mm work. as regards an exposure meter, I believe you have a Leningrad, Nothing wrong with them, I used one for many years untill I thought I would get a "Modern" one, and got a sekonic, but I have recntly got a weston master v, for $50, in mint condition, again not that much and as good as the sekonic,and more fun to use, but is your meter giving good exposure readings, if so then I see no reason to change,I never print bigger than 9.5x12, I like the size, but I can certainly see the differance between 35mm and 120, so I would always prefer MF, as for the printing, I have printed sections of my 6x6 negatives which is the equivelent to a 16x20 or larger full frame print, using a meopta opemus enlarger, with a home made glassless negative carriier, and the prints are pin sharp,so you do not need a glass carrier, I don't like glass, more chance of dust problems, Richard

Last edited by Richard Gould; 20th June 2010 at 11:12 AM. Reason: forget something
Old 20th June 2010, 02:25 PM
Friend

If your subject matter is moving, then 35mm.
If your subject matter is not moving, then MF.
If you're not moving, then LF.
Old 20th June 2010, 03:10 PM
Friend

Well put,Sandeha, very succinct,Richard
Old 20th June 2010, 05:31 PM
Friend

You will get the best results with whichever camera you are most comfortable using.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies