Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd October 2010, 07:06 PM
Friend

Default Prescysin - First Impressions

I tried Monochrome Photography's Prescysin print developer for the first time today.

According to the literature it is a variation of Ansco 130 updated for today's paper. My prints were made on my dwindling stock of Photospeed Legacy. I mixed the stock 1:5 to give me 1200cc of working solution at just over 20 degrees C.

I must say that I am very pleased with the results. It gives very attractive warm tones without any olive cast that I find with some other warm tone developers that I have tried. Highlights are also very delicately rendered.

I intend to see how this developer influences toning and will scan and post my results when I have them.

The only thing I did find strange was the development time required. The literature says anywhere between 1:30 and 3:30 for dilutions between 1:5 and 1:9. I needed 4 minutes to get the density I wanted at 1:5. This is not a complaint this is very good stuff, just an observation.

I shall also be interested to see how it stacks up against the original Ansco 130 as I have two litres of this as well.

Adrian Twiss
Old 22nd October 2010, 11:16 PM
Friend

Adrian, this must be a new addition to Peter's range. I hadn't seen it the last time I looked. Reading the literature he does actually say up to 5mins for for the most dilute. It might be that the difference in time needed is only a minute from 1:5 to 1:9.

Given its price it might be worth checking this out. An extra min for quite a large saving in cost might be a good exchange.

Nice that we have a glycin developer now available. It seemed to be confined to the U.S. until Peter made Prescysin.

Mike
Old 23rd October 2010, 11:41 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Adrian, this must be a new addition to Peter's range. I hadn't seen it the last time I looked. Reading the literature he does actually say up to 5mins for for the most dilute. It might be that the difference in time needed is only a minute from 1:5 to 1:9.

Given its price it might be worth checking this out. An extra min for quite a large saving in cost might be a good exchange.

Nice that we have a glycin developer now available. It seemed to be confined to the U.S. until Peter made Prescysin.

Mike
Mike

Photographers Formulary will ship Ansco 130 to the UK. I have some and will do some comparisons. Watch this space.
Old 23rd October 2010, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Another option is to get the Formulary to send just the glycin and get the rest of the chemicals locally and mix yourself. If that's not your thing then Peter's addition seems like a brilliant option.

Plus, if it has anything like A-130's legendary keeping qualities, it'll work out pretty cheap. I'll get some myself when I run out of Neutol WE - I mixed up A-130 in the past and really liked it but ordering glycin from the US was a bit of a faff...
Old 23rd October 2010, 01:27 PM
Friend

Perhaps Peter Hogan might comment on the working solution shelf life.

If I understand correctly even Ansco 130 working solution lasts a very long time.

However Photographer's Formulary advise that Glycin in its raw state does not keep well and advise only to buy enough to last 6 months at a time.

Adrian
Old 26th October 2010, 11:27 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Twiss View Post
Perhaps Peter Hogan might comment on the working solution shelf life.

If I understand correctly even Ansco 130 working solution lasts a very long time.

However Photographer's Formulary advise that Glycin in its raw state does not keep well and advise only to buy enough to last 6 months at a time.

Adrian
I have recently received some Glycin from Photographer's Formulary, and I will be mixing up some Ansco 130 shortly. The remainder of the Glycin I will store in my freezer, which I believe extends the life of Glycin.

My suggest is to mix it 1 to 1 and after your printing session pour it back into the bottle and use it not just for your next printing session but for many more. The print developer just gets darker as it ages but it still works.

Here is an informative thread on Ansco 130

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/5...sco-130-a.html

Andrew
Old 27th October 2010, 06:43 AM
Friend

What quantity are they listing, is it 1lb?

From the Photographers Formulary website.

"GLYCIN
GLYCIN 1LB, 100G, 10G, Glycin has a limited shelf life of about 6 months. PRICE: $18.95"

How much was shipping and duties on top?
Old 27th October 2010, 06:50 AM
Friend

Ok, found the answer by doing a dummy order. It works out at $110 per 454 grams shipped plus any import duties and taxes, but I guess that will make a lot of developer. Since their minimum shipping is $38 smaller quantities will be proportionally more expensive unless combined with other items.
Old 27th October 2010, 06:57 AM
Friend

Fomatol PW W24 is also print developer based on glycin.

http://www.silverprint.co.uk/Product...asp?PrGrp=5021

Never used it so cannot comment on its effect.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 27th October 2010, 07:10 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
Fomatol PW W24 is also print developer based on glycin.

http://www.silverprint.co.uk/Product...asp?PrGrp=5021

Never used it so cannot comment on its effect.
Has anyone here tried it?
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies