Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 20th February 2010, 07:23 PM
Friend

Default Adox vs Adox vs Foma

As promised, here is my subjective paper comparison. I shot a landscape scene on Ilford HP5 135 exposed at E.I. 250, developed in Perceptol 1:1. For printing I use Kaiser condensor enlarger with halogen cold light source and colour head with a Nikkor EL 2,8/50 lens.
I used the following 5x7 papers:

Adox Vario Classic (repacked Fotokemika Efke Varycon) matt
Adox Variotone (new Harman product) semi matt and glossy
Foma Fobabrom Variant 111

Adox Varitone glossy was developed in Adox Adotol WA and NE developers (Agfa Neutol WA and NE), the rest was developed in Adox Adotol WA only.

I tried to match the contrast and density and the negative required grade 3 filtration (30M).

Results:
Adox Variotone has the brightest base (bright white) and the warmest tone. There was very little difference between Adotol WA and NE developers as both gave warm tone results. Both surfaces are close match to Ilford FB WT paper. I ferrotyped the glossy surface and it gave mirror-like look. The paper is slow compared to Foma (x2), and only a little faster (say 15%) compared to Vario Classic.

Adox Vario Classic developed in WA developer gave very neutral look on a bright base (almost the same as Variotone). Compared to Variotone and despite the matt surface, I could notice slightly more tone separation in the lowest values. This phenomena could be due to film used and reversed in case of Delta or Tmax. The surface is very matt, very similar to Ilford 5K. While holding the print, I could notice rough surface under my fingers and after inspection under the lope I found out that there might be some imperfection in the coating process (dust??).

Foma has the warmest base (still white enough not to be clarified as cream) with the neutral/warm tone. (less war than Variotone but not as neutral as Vario Classic). The paper base has 180g/sq but it doesn't look nor feel thinner than Adox with 255-280g/sqm. Unfortunately, problems occured when paper was wet. The base feels very sponge-like and very easy to damage with tongs. I guess the paper has less dense compared to Adox as it is lighter with the same thickness. The finish is slightly less gloss than Variotone.

Unfortunately I ran out of Ilford FB WT to compare it against Variotone. Some suggest they are extremely similar, Variotone having whiter base.

Verdict:
I find that Adox Vario Classic works great with my film of choice (HP5). A great all around neutral tone paper. But I need to contact Fotoimpex regarding unusual surface i have noticed.
Foma 111 is too flimsy for my work flow with no particular strength. Variotone feels and looks very good for those rare situations (for me) when warm tone is preferred.

Miha
Old 21st February 2010, 06:20 AM
Friend

Thanks for a comprehensive report Miha.
Old 21st February 2010, 07:34 AM
Friend

Thanks, Miha, a most interesting test.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 21st February 2010, 09:05 AM
Friend

Thanks Miha for taking the time to make a very comprehensive test of the papers and for posting the results here,Richard
Old 21st February 2010, 11:55 AM
Friend

Thanks guys!

I have attached some digi snaps of the photos below:

Foma 111, Adotol WA

Adox Vario Classic matt, Adotol WA

Adox Variotone glossy, Adotol NE

Adox Variotone semi matt, Adotol WA

Adox Variotone Glossy, Adotol WA

They are, of course, only an approximation of the prints (Variotone being a bit warmer in reality,...).

Miha
Old 21st February 2010, 12:40 PM
Friend

Thanks Miha very helpful set of images
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 21st February 2010, 08:07 PM
Friend

Thanks. The images say it all Miha. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. In fact no amount of words could ever be a substitute for the images. Quite a range of colours

Mike
Old 22nd February 2010, 10:50 AM
Friend

Miha,

I've only used a few sheets of 9.5x12" Adox Vario Classic, but came across a dull surface, which may have been a coating issue, or possibly calcium carbonate deposits on my end, I'd have to check.

Tom
Old 22nd February 2010, 01:29 PM
Friend

Hi Tom,

have you been using FB gloss surface?

Miha
Old 22nd February 2010, 05:40 PM
Friend

Hi Miha,
I have found the same surface roughness on the matt Adox Vario Classic,
it does feel like dust embedded in the emulsion but it is quite evenly distributed over the whole surface.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies