Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd September 2010, 01:06 PM
Friend

There are two potential problems when fixing FB paper.

1) Over fixing.
Fixer is required to work in the emulsion and not in the paper base, so fixing for too long will result in longer washing times and a
waste of water.

2) Over used fixer.
Fixer has a certain capacity so you need to know when that capacity is reached. The fixing bath test strips mentioned by Martin are ideal. Exhausted fixer may still fix prints but insoluble by-products from the fixer can accumulate in fibre based papers and cannot be washed out. They can become soluble again in fresh fixer
so thats why two-bath fixing is recommended.

This procedure involves fixing the prints in a first fixing bath for half the recommended time followed by a second bath for the remaining
half of the time. As the first bath does most of the work and starts to exhaust, it may produce some insoluble salts but the fresh fixer
in the second bath makes them soluble again so in turn means they can be washed out. When the first bath approaches exhaustion,
it is discarded and the second bath becomes the first. A new second bath is then prepared.

If I don't have enough room for two fixing trays then I do what Les advised and mix fresh fixer for final prints.

Peter
Old 3rd September 2010, 01:35 PM
Friend

I have used 2 bath fixing in the past, but for a while now I have used 1 bath, making sure that the fixer is fresh,and like Les constant agitation for 4 minutes in fixer at 1/9 and have seen no differance to the permanace of any prints, and will stick with 1 bath, as I cannot see the reason for 2 baths,Richard
Old 3rd September 2010, 03:03 PM
Friend

Currently reading my new copy of "The Master Photographers Toning Book". Tim Rudman strongly advocates two-bath fixing to prevent insoluble by-products building up as the fixer gets less fresh. Any problems here show up a lot faster and with greater severity if certain types of toner are used.
Ian
Old 4th September 2010, 04:50 PM
Friend

FWIW, I have 50-year-old prints fixed in one bath, and they look nice.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies