Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th May 2017, 04:52 PM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Default Second-hand Darkroom Supplies

I have just returned from a week in the Cotswolds and as we were staying only a few miles from SDS I paid Paul a visit.

An amazing place located in a barn but the amount of gear held is far in excess of what I imagined. The listing on the web site is a small fraction of the actual stock.

Paul was extremely knowledgable and helpful and supplied me with a set of 35 mm De Vere negatives masks at a much lower cost than the auction site. He also had a 7x7 light box for my 5 x 4 enlarger and I was happy to relieve him of both. The next day we went back and I bought a Nova 5 slot washer and some extra Fidelity film holders.

Whatever you need I am sure he will have it somewhere.

If you are ever in the vicinity I would recommend a visit but do ring first to check he is there. Don't ask me how I know this.

Overall a brilliant place and as one of our sponsors well worth supporting.

Bill
Old 6th May 2017, 05:42 PM
Friend

I've bought from Paul at SDS, online and not in person unfortunately, but he was easy to deal with and his customer service was great.

Just thought I would add my tuppence worth

Ian
Old 6th May 2017, 06:17 PM
Friend

I will go along with the two previous posts. I got the impression when I went there a few years ago, that because of the huge and varied amount of equipment, the place was a 'delightful muddle', but he seemed to know where everything was and he had what I wanted so was more than pleased.

My most recent purchase a few months ago was a replacement head for my LPL 7700 enlarger and came away with a 'MX' version which is still the current model. I was well please at the price of £170, considering the cost of a new LPL7700 enlarger is well in excess of £1000
Old 6th May 2017, 08:51 PM
Friend

I bought by mail order an Ilford 902 safelight from SDS a good number of years ago and it is still going well. I must admit that I never realised that there was more there than gets shown on the website. Given there are even secondhand filters shown which are pretty small items I wonder what isn't shown?

I suppose the secret is simply to lift the phone and ask. Mind you there is a lot to be said, depending on what's involved in time and effort, for showing as much as possible as this can result in impulse purchases of stuff that you never thought you needed until you see it.

Mike
Old 6th May 2017, 09:21 PM
Friend

I think basically as Simon is operating a 'one man band', a lack of time may be a factor to getting more on line. Certainly the MX head I bought wasn't advertised, I was told about when I 'phoned.
Old 7th May 2017, 03:48 AM
Friend

A great place to visit but make sure you keep a tight reign on you're wallet as once you have found the barn which is almost in the middle of nowhere there are so many items there that you may have wanted over the years and given up hope of finding. But the service is very good.
Richard
Old 7th May 2017, 07:35 AM
Friend

Default Second hand darkrooms

When some described his place as a 'Barn' in the middle of knowhere That se me thinking. I did a search on google maps and since I was last there, admittedly a few years ago he has moved. His sales were from his place in the centre of Leafield not stuck out in the wilds in what looks like a small industrial estate.
Old 7th May 2017, 05:00 PM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
When some described his place as a 'Barn' in the middle of knowhere That se me thinking. I did a search on google maps and since I was last there, admittedly a few years ago he has moved. His sales were from his place in the centre of Leafield not stuck out in the wilds in what looks like a small industrial estate.
Looking at Google Maps what looks like an industrial estate is actually a row of houses and a big farm. The Postcode centres just past where he actually is. If you zoom in there is an area of woodland at the joint of the roads. The one marked Leafield Rd runs alongside this and he is actually in a barn at the first house on the turn off road to the farm on the almost 4 way junction. The roads are slightly staggered. Hard to describe but his building looks like an L on its side with the short leg pointing down. The roof has 3 gables in it. The driveway in is obscured by the trees.

Hope this helps anybody looking to go there.

Bill

Last edited by Bill; 7th May 2017 at 05:03 PM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies