Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th April 2020, 10:04 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
A lovely print there Monst.

Can you give a bit more detail about the print i.e. the paper and developer used? Please just don't tell me it was 'toned' in Photoshop...

Many thanks,

Terry S
Hello Terry, I am afraid that is a scan from the neg as I run out of enlarger size at 5x4 unless I do little contact prints. I split tone in sepia and selenium on my wet prints or do toned cyanotypes and VDB and also orotypes. Sorry...
Old 13th April 2020, 11:33 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by monst View Post
Hello Terry, I am afraid that is a scan from the neg as I run out of enlarger size at 5x4 unless I do little contact prints. I split tone in sepia and selenium on my wet prints or do toned cyanotypes and VDB and also orotypes. Sorry...
No worries Monst. Thanks for the detailed reply.

Terry S
Old 14th April 2020, 06:09 PM
Friend

I have found some commentary on photography in Czechoslovakia just after the 1939-‘45 war. I have attached photos of the pages which come from Photograms of the Year 1947 and ‘48. There are some publications mentioned which may be of interest, but there is little mention of the materials available. I have some earlier copies of this publication, but nothing after ‘48.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 14th April 2020, 06:11 PM
Friend

I loaded them in the correct order! You have to read page 9 at the bottom, followed by 10, then page 8 followed by the other page 9. Sorry about that.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 14th April 2020, 07:02 PM
Friend

Thanks for the articles Alex, amazing

I wonder if our conversations here on FADU will become in some 50-70 years a subject of some sort of compilation on history of amateur photography in the first decades of new century (and millennium)

Jakub
Old 24th May 2020, 08:01 PM
Friend

Anybody notice the horizontal bands in the sky in some of the photographs. Possibly through printing in clouds from another negative? Or maybe holding back the foreground whilst burning in the sky.
Also vertical bands in the sky. Looking similar to a watercolour painting when the paper cockles and the watery pigment runs down the page.

Last edited by Nat Polton; 24th May 2020 at 08:29 PM.
Old 25th May 2020, 08:32 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by monst View Post
I think a lot of the look is the lenses and as said earlier a nice silver rich emulsion. This is one from my old Graflex, a very different shot to the one being talked about but stopped down you get a similar result. This was foma 100 on a 5x7 Graflex and a Dallmeyer Pentac
That is a glorious print - unique to silver photography, not possible with Photoshop. Viewing it on-screen as a scan, I don't think a pre-war silver-rich emulsion would have affected this particular image. But a lens to cover 5"x7" (200...250mm?), wide open, would be hard to emulate with modern optics. Nonetheless, I'm going to have a try!
The nearest I can get is a 80mm at f/2.8 on 6x6cm. But it's coated, so I will try a Softar or my homemade version - an uncoated UV filter with concentric rings of gum arabic drawn with an ink compass. The other trick, which I've never tried, but was common in early movies, was Vaseline smeared on glass.
What's required is a sharp image surrounded by a halo. How to achieve this? Advice please.
Old 25th May 2020, 08:48 AM
Friend

Default An apology

Sorry - I should have read all the posts before commenting. I didn't at first pick up that the image I congratulated was a scan from a negative, not a print. But I still think it's brilliant.
Old 25th May 2020, 12:11 PM
Friend

The Vaseline smeared on glass reminded me of an old anecdote from the world of movies.
When a certain ageing actress was on set for her bit of filming, the director would shout out for the UW filter.
It was the name he used for Vaseline on glass, used to soften the wrinkles on her face.
Those in the know knew that UW stood for "Ugly Woman."
A version is often seen in tv shows. Everything is nice and sharp, and when the camera goes close up on the leading lady she is totally out of focus.
TV adverts for cosmetics using well known actresses often put such a bright light on the stars face that no detail is seen, at least I think that is how it is done.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies