Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Help!

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th March 2018, 11:26 AM
New User

Default Ilford delta 400 pushed to 3200 Tetenal ultrafin liquid

Hey !
Does anyone know how push Ilford delta 400 to 3200 in Tetenal Ultrafin Liquid ?
Old 29th March 2018, 06:45 PM
Friend

I can't find any reference to going above box speed in Ultrafin. There are times in the Massive Development Chart and elsewhere for 1600 in D76/ID11 (30mins @ 20DegC). I can vouch for the fact that the results aren't brilliant though - very grainy with empty shadows and blown highlights. Some years ago I inadvertently exposed a roll of D400 at 1600 thinking it was D3200 and tried to rescue it. By and large, Ilford Delta films don't push well. HP5+ is IMO, far better for pushing.
Old 29th March 2018, 07:39 PM
Friend

Sorry, only used Delta 3200 with Ilford DDX. Rated 3200, for about 10 minutes if I remember right (it was a while back).
I think it looked pretty good, but that was in 120. No idea what 35mm looks like.

The massive dev chart has a couple of suggestions.

https://www.digitaltruth.com/devchar...=C&TimeUnits=D
Old 29th March 2018, 07:46 PM
Friend

Welcome to FADU, hereafter.I do not know an answer to your question but more significantly I feel, is that I have never seen reference to it on either forum I am a member of. It suggests to me that the film and developer might not be a successful combination whereas I have seen lots of references to HP5+ and various developers. For sheer speed HP5+ and Microphen probably takes a bit of beating.

If you have already exposed D400 at 3200 I'd be tempted to try Microphen instead. There are times for this combination on The Massive Development Chart website but of course no examples of how things turned out.

If you haven't yet exposed the D400, I'd be tempted to try HP5+ instead.

If you want to try D400 and Tetenal Ultrafin Liquid just to see how it turns out then maybe someone here can give you "pointers"I'd want it to be pictures that are not "one-offs" and that cannot be repeated - just in case.

I might be insulting your intelligence and film photography experience in reinforcing what Rob has said, namely, not all films are really suited to pushing what is 3 stops.

It will be helpful if you were to say a bit about your film experience and what are the circumstances of wanting to know about pushing D400 with Ultrafin.

Mike
Old 29th March 2018, 11:47 PM
Friend

Default Ilford delta 400 pushed to 3200 Tetenal ultrafin liquid

Pushing film in any developer is always a bit unpredictable. Giving a versatile film like HP5+ one stop less exposure gives great results, but beyond that it’s less satisfactory. It all depends on your subject matter and expectations. You are looking to underexpose by three stops, so results will be far from the ideal negative. That might not be a problem if you’re looking for dramatic action shots, or handheld night shots in the City. I would try adding 20% per stop underexposure as a starting point to see how that looks. If there’s no experience available, you just need to decide on an approach, then refine the outcome by assessment of your results. I hope you find a satisfactory outcome.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 30th March 2018, 09:55 AM
Friend

I have shot Delta 400 and Delta 3200 both at 1600 ball to back, developed in DDX 1+4 and I think I prefer the Delta 400. I think it depends on the look you are after. D400 is more "contrasty" at 1600 compared to D3200 at 1600.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies