Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd July 2020, 10:28 AM
Friend

Well, I don't think she was one of the pupls I taught, but my lessons were purely voluntary, If any pupils wanted to learn about traditional photography, as it was called, they could sign up, but if it wasn't for them they could stop the lessons, and I had very few stop,for many of them it was something entirely new,many had grown up wit Iphones and computers Ect, and loved the idea of putting a blank sheet of paper in the developer and watch the photo they had created appear in the developer under a dim safelight, also, over here, there are, or were untill Covid, evening classes in analogue photography, and they were oversubscribed this time by young and old, and they will start up again when it is safe to do so, indeed, the Arts center over here, which closed their 2 darkrooms a while ago, opened up again in Febuary due to popular demand,so maybe, if Jersey is anything to go by all is not lost
Richard
Old 23rd July 2020, 11:43 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
In fact I;ford, at least the Classic, has no warm=ning about opening only in the darkroom
Richard
Every time I hear about people opening boxes of darkroom paper under a household light or in the sunshine, makes me shiver.

Why, oh why don't ALL suppliers of darkroom paper put a LARGE set of words or even a sticker on their boxes to state NOT what to do?!?!?

I know that it means certain people will have to buy a second box after ruining the first, but wouldn't it be, well, just useful for those not in the know?

Terry S
Old 23rd July 2020, 12:09 PM
Friend

they can teach most things at school but sadly they cannot teach common sense ..
Old 23rd July 2020, 01:35 PM
Friend

Default Great expectations

I taught darkroom technique to two classes of sixth-formers a couple of years ago. Basically, poor understanding of the photographic process meant that the courses were underfunded. It was mostly successful but problems arose, which meant that some of the students didn't progress to taking home a print that they had originated on film.
Students had to share some equipment such as Paterson spirals and the darkrooms weren't really dark during daylight hours, so we had to load film in changing bags - two between six. But they had fun!
Old 23rd July 2020, 02:31 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Every time I hear about people opening boxes of darkroom paper under a household light or in the sunshine, makes me shiver.

Why, oh why don't ALL suppliers of darkroom paper put a LARGE set of words or even a sticker on their boxes to state NOT what to do?!?!?

I know that it means certain people will have to buy a second box after ruining the first, but wouldn't it be, well, just useful for those not in the know?

Terry S
I do agree with that, Terry, if Ilford, and other makers, put a label on the front, say above the photo on the Ilford bxes, saying do not open except in darkness, or words to that effect, big letters,white on black it would save a lot of heartbreak'
Richard
Old 23rd July 2020, 02:41 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOReynolds View Post
I taught darkroom technique to two classes of sixth-formers a couple of years ago. Basically, poor understanding of the photographic process meant that the courses were underfunded. It was mostly successful but problems arose, which meant that some of the students didn't progress to taking home a print that they had originated on film.
Students had to share some equipment such as Paterson spirals and the darkrooms weren't really dark during daylight hours, so we had to load film in changing bags - two between six. But they had fun!
I was lucky in that the darkoom was in a celler without a window, and we had good equipmentr, and as far as supplies, while we had a budget it was fairly generous, so materials was not to much of a problem, a lot of Firstcall own brand, Kentmere paper, and wed had, 3 work stations,so every pupil went home with a dry print to show the parents,and some of it was after school hours, so we were not too time limited, as it was a voluntary activity, but we do get a lot of that over here, and if it hadn't been for Covid 19 I would still be doing it now, and if there is still interest then I have spoken to them and we will be back, when this is over and we are all, hopefully, vaccinated,
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies