Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Negative Printing Exchange

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th February 2012, 01:39 PM
Friend

I don't think that we should receive a print along with the negative as I feel that would influence the printer too much.
Old 7th February 2012, 04:45 PM
Friend

Dave, the point that I was trying to put over, was that the print I suggested sending with the negative, SHOULD NOT BE VIEWED until AFTER the receiver has printed their own version. That way they get to actually compare the two prints straight away and see the original print rather than a much reduced quality picture on a monitor screen.

Steve, I like the idea of one set of negatives of one subject being shot and sent out. There would then be an even keel across the board subject wise and would making very interesting viewing / critiquing of all the final pictures, as they can be seen together.

Terry S
Old 7th February 2012, 05:18 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Dave, the point that I was trying to put over, was that the print I suggested sending with the negative, SHOULD NOT BE VIEWED until AFTER the receiver has printed their own version. That way they get to actually compare the two prints straight away and see the original print rather than a much reduced quality picture on a monitor screen.
Snip!

Terry S
I haven't got that much self-control.
Old 8th February 2012, 08:37 AM
Friend

I must admit that I too would have to open the print for a sneaky look and then my interpretation would be different

One other advantage of not sending a print is that if like me you shoot a strip of identical negs for this exchange you can be working on it at any point within the 3 months while your printing partner does the same.

I'm open to suggestions though, FADU is pretty democratic and I'll go with the overall consensus.

Steve
Old 13th February 2012, 08:25 PM
Friend

I would much prefer to leave things as they are for now with perhaps the addional benifit of the printer getting a negative makers print AFTER the printers version had been posted back with the negative.

scans are ok but rarely do justice to the darkroom print particularly if toned.

Don't think multi-negatives are a good idea particualrly for the LF workers.

bobrob.
Old 16th February 2012, 12:30 PM
Friend

I received Bob's print of his negative today... delayed in the post I think...

I tend to agree with Bob that seeing the 'original', as it were, after you've spent some time on the negative yourself, is a good idea. It may be an extra stamp, but it's worth it to see the print in the flesh rather than just a scan which can be very small and hard to see on the screen.

In the future maybe there could be some way of standardising the scanning of the resulting images for discussion. For example, it maybe easier to see prints side by side... and at higher res'... in a post rather than the gallery.

Sending out identical negs to everyone sounds OK to me, although as suggested, it might be a bit much for 5x4. Am I to understand that everyone involved sends out identical negs to everyone else at the same time? So that we all end up with a collection of negs to print over the three months? Or take it in turn? Maybe one negative sent to everyone in turn might be better, with perhaps just a week to do a print.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies