Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > New products and offers

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 8th January 2020, 03:21 PM
Friend

I now have my box of Foma Retrobrom from Process Supplies (very prompt ddelivery) so now just have to find the time to start lith and bromoil testing.

It is supposed to have a grade of around G2.5.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 22nd December 2020, 12:42 PM
Friend

I bought 10 sheets of this (in the gloss version) as an experiment. I quite like the feel of graded papers and this didn't disappoint, although it has it's very obvious limitations - mainly the single grade. I reckon the paper grade is roughly equivalent to Ilford's grade 2, maybe a bit softer so it doesn't suit every negative. I used a medium contrast woodland shot as a base and developed it in Ilford Bromophen diluted 1:4. It worked as expected. Soft-ish with a warm tone. It responds well to selenium toning where it shifts to an attractive reddish brown. Where this paper comes alive though is when developed in a dilute lith developer (I used Forte Lith Developer - 20 years out of date but still working fine!). Much warmer tones and with practice it's easy to get good contrast without losing the shadows. I didn't get the dramatic 'infectious' development typical with lith but I likes the results. If you can cope with the limitations this is a lovely, and very different paper. I'llpost some scans of prints in the 'paper discussion' gallery later.
Old 22nd December 2020, 12:57 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
I now have my box of Foma Retrobrom from Process Supplies (very prompt ddelivery) so now just have to find the time to start lith and bromoil testing.

Neil.
Neil, did you manage to do some testing on this paper?

Terry S
Old 23rd December 2020, 09:29 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Neil, did you manage to do some testing on this paper?

Terry S
Tery,

Sadly, no. It's a job that is still waiting to be done I'm afraid but as soon as I can I will run some tests and report back here.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 23rd December 2020, 01:06 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
Sadly, no. It's a job that is still waiting to be done I'm afraid but as soon as I can I will run some tests and report back here.

Neil.
Thanks for replying Neil.

I'm sure we all have little jobs that are put on the back burner for various lengths of time; I know I have!

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies