Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th May 2022, 08:53 PM
New User

Question Rookie mistakes setting up enlarger?

Evening all,
I have just come into the possession of a Paterson 35 enlarger after a few years away from a darkroom. admittedly, my last time working with enlargers they were all pre-set up so I feel a bit of a novice in the fine tuning of the things. Anyway, it all seems to be working fine, other than a shadow appears in the projected light on the easel, some find of border which is in the shape of the bottom of the film carrier slot. It appears when the lens is attached, the insertion of the neg carrier makes no difference. Ive also tried different lens but to the same outcome.

I have taken photographs bit as I'm a newbie here I might be flagged for using links.

Any thoughts? It is a matter of alignment?
Old 8th May 2022, 10:18 PM
Administrator

Links to images for information are fine - post away

Odd shadows are likely to be alignment, the wrong size bulb, or possibly missing or incorrect condensers if the enlarger has them, but I am not familiar with the Paterson 35, so hopefully someone else will have more accurate suggestions...
Old 8th May 2022, 11:25 PM
Friend

Welcome to FADU, EdwardViaduct, I am not familiar with the Paterson 35 either but some others here may be. In the meantime have a Google search for a manual on the Paterson 35. There has to be a source for this kind of information

Showing us the parts of your enlarger and how it fits together may also trigger some thoughts from various members here

Mike
Old 9th May 2022, 05:27 PM
Friend

There was a request for information for this enlarger on 5th April 2021 by a member called theobrown

At the time I found a link to an ebay advert that mentioned it used only one condenser lens, not the usual two.
Looking at one of theo's original photos the condenser lens can be easily broken down for cleaning.
I wonder if the lens is fitted into its holding tube in the correct orientation?
I have never had my hands on one of these, but it looks as if the condenser could be fitted with the lens at the top or bottom of the mount tube. Also the convex facing into or out of the tube.

The other thing is, does the lamp holder have adjustment up and down? My first enlarger was a condenser type and the lamp required adjusting at times to get rid of vignetting.
It could also be swivelled and angled slightly to adjust the bulb position.
The correct wattage bulb and frosting of the bulb is also important.

I searched at the time for an instruction leaflet but had no success.

Also, welcome to FADU

Cheers.
Old 9th May 2022, 07:41 PM
Friend

I wonder if theobrown had any success in getting a manual, assuming of course he needed one to finally resolve his problem?

We haven't seen him for nearly 3 months so a PM may be the only way to contact him and currently our new member probably isn't able to use the PM friends yet

Mike
Old 10th May 2022, 11:57 AM
Friend

Here are two links about the enlarger in question, with one being the one being alluded in this thread:

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...nlarger+manual

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...nlarger+manual

I too can't find a free instruction manual for it, but there is this one, with good reviews, that will SELL you a copy:

https://www.camera-manual.com/manufacturer-paterson-78

Terry S
Old 10th May 2022, 01:42 PM
Friend

Paterson themselves have a page on their website for 'downloads' but all the links seem dead.
I've dropped them a message to see if instructions for the Paterson 35 are still available from them.
Watch this space.
Old 10th May 2022, 10:56 PM
Friend

Is there a chance that the Paterson 35 is a rebranded enlarger from another manufacturer?
Old 11th May 2022, 07:28 AM
Friend

Default Patterson Enlarger

Can I ask, is the model of the Patterson enlarger the one with an enclosed lamp-house which is cylindrical with cooling fins on the outside. A picture of that would help.

If it is the one I think it may be they can get extremely hot because there is no through ventilation and as they are largely made of plastic this can warp quite severely.

Secondly are these shadows with the lens fitted or with no lens?
Old 11th May 2022, 07:58 AM
Friend

hi John, that's the model I'm assuming he means from the name given.
There is another Paterson branded enlarger (which I think you can still buy) based on the old Fujimoto 66, which is medium format. Different kettle of fish altogether.

Tags
enlarger, shadow areas
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies