Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Pinhole

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 4th July 2022, 12:11 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHeller View Post
Horses for courses. It has little appeal to me. I can take unsharp and technically poor photographs with the quality 'simple' mechanical cameras I own. But then I have little creative imagination.

Mike

MIke,

The P/H camera's extreme DOF can be very creative. Especially up close to an interesting subject.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 5th July 2022, 01:56 PM
Friend

I have been pondering having a go for a while now, but I can't convince myself to do it.

There are some great pin hole images, I think you need to be the tinkering kind to have a go.
The younger generation want things to be simple and straight forward like digital photography, but anologue film takes patience and is a big learning curve.

I shot weddings with medium format film in the 80' and 90's trying allsorts of film and loved B/W.
But I have since retirement, been learning how to shoot 5x4 and soon found out its an all new ball game. But loving it.

I agree with the above comments, the price of these pinhole camera's is stupid, If I come accross a cheap bargain one I might give it a go, but I would only like a 5x4 one to use.
Old 5th July 2022, 03:16 PM
Print Exchange Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
MIke,

The P/H camera's extreme DOF can be very creative. Especially up close to an interesting subject.

Neil.
I have no doubt. The failure to explore it is absolutely down to my prejudices/character failings. I have seen P/H photos that are fine, surprising and interesting but I haven't the incentive or interest to pursue them for myself: it just doesn't float my boat.

Sorry, Mike
Old 5th July 2022, 04:07 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHeller View Post
I have no doubt. The failure to explore it is absolutely down to my prejudices/character failings. I have seen P/H photos that are fine, surprising and interesting but I haven't the incentive or interest to pursue them for myself: it just doesn't float my boat.

Sorry, Mike

Fair enough, Mike.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 6th July 2022, 03:39 PM
Friend

I find pinhole photography is a complete antidote to most of the digital imagery that’s around today. Pinhole along with Holga give an alternative form of expression and a different astetic to a picture.
Whilst I appreciate the fun that comes with the scratch building element, I will however defend buying a readymade pinhole camera. Because the pinhole is accurately machined to the correct size for the focal length of the camera.
I was fortunate to buy a basic 6x6 secondhand Zero 2000 for under £40 a few years ago. I’ll admit the higher specification models of these cameras are expensive and have what I think are unnecessary features for basic pinhole work.
The only modification I have done to my Zero is I fashioned a piece of MDF that is attached to the front of the camera with a step up ring fitted to it. This lets me use my Nikon 52mm filters on the occasions when even a pinhole exposure isn’t long enough for the effect I’m after.

If anyone is interested, I posted a small album of recent pinhole images the other week.

/Users/dlingham/Desktop/IMG_0578.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0578.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	4434  

www.davidlingham.uk
Old 7th July 2022, 09:28 AM
Friend

I must admit I am a big fan of pinhole cameras / photography and I have been using pinhole cameras now for many years.

I have never made one, but I have thought of doing so. However, I do have a good collection of 'ready mades' ranging from 35mm to 5x4. The 5x4 PH is of course very light being lensless and basically just an empty box. I find it ideal for walks with my normal gear and occassionally it gives me something very special.

Also some of the ready-mades now are lovely cameras to own being made out of the finest wood and precision brass fittings. They mostly come from small workshops and are hand made in small numbers. But of course you can still make one yourself and the results should be just as good, especially if you buy a precision made pinhole which are now available at a reasonable cost.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 7th July 2022, 10:11 AM
Print Exchange Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lingham View Post
If anyone is interested, I posted a small album of recent pinhole images the other week.

I have had a look at these (Good job the album was near the top of the list as the search function is for thread rather than gallery postings but then I may be missing a trick) and they are indeed good and interesting. But my reservations for doing them myself still stand: I have a hard enough time taking the photos that do fulfil my ambitions, whatever they are. Thanks for drawing them to our attention.

Mike
Old 7th July 2022, 02:55 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lingham View Post
I find pinhole photography is a complete antidote to most of the digital imagery that’s around today. Pinhole along with Holga give an alternative form of expression and a different astetic to a picture.
Whilst I appreciate the fun that comes with the scratch building element, I will however defend buying a readymade pinhole camera. Because the pinhole is accurately machined to the correct size for the focal length of the camera.
I was fortunate to buy a basic 6x6 secondhand Zero 2000 for under £40 a few years ago. I’ll admit the higher specification models of these cameras are expensive and have what I think are unnecessary features for basic pinhole work.
The only modification I have done to my Zero is I fashioned a piece of MDF that is attached to the front of the camera with a step up ring fitted to it. This lets me use my Nikon 52mm filters on the occasions when even a pinhole exposure isn’t long enough for the effect I’m after.

Hi David, I have had a look at your pinhole photographs and really like them. But I can't help wondering if they would have been even better if they had been made with a regular 6x6 camera, and long exposures....

Alan
Old 7th July 2022, 03:26 PM
Friend

@ Alan
You can't get the atmosphere of a pinhole from a clean lens designed for sharpness and less optical mistakes.

@ David
For me these are some of the most wonderful pictures of all forum albums.
Pure aesthetic and poesie.
Thanks for sharing fascination and bringing more inspiration to me,
Reginald
Old 7th July 2022, 04:14 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald S View Post
@ Alan
You can't get the atmosphere of a pinhole from a clean lens designed for sharpness and less optical mistakes.

@ David
For me these are some of the most wonderful pictures of all forum albums.
Pure aesthetic and poesie.
Thanks for sharing fascination and bringing more inspiration to me,
Reginald
Reginald, I have taken another look at David's pinhole photographs, and have to say that I think you are right. In particular there is a mystery about the first one that maybe couldn't have been achieved in any other way.

Alan
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies