Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st August 2022, 09:29 PM
Friend

Default Does anyone shoot with a Bronica EC?

I've got a Bronica EC and when shooting 120 film, the camera set to 12 exposures, once I shoot frame 12 I would expect the winder to continue until you stop when you feel the film leader pull out. What happens with mine, it goes to frame 13 and stops. I have to release the shutter, then it goes to 14...and so one. Once it gets past 17 it winds continuously. I though I had a problem with the back, and I bought another, but the new back does the same thing. Unless they both have the same problem, I'm assuming that's how they work. I have a roll of 220 film in the first back now. Back set to 24 exp. Ill see what happens one I get to the end of the roll.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 2nd August 2022, 07:49 AM
Friend

Default Bronica EC

I used to own a EC-TL about 20years ago which is pretty much the same as yours and I cannot remember there being a problem like yours.

Mine used to do the same then as my SQa does today. It is acting as if you have a 220 back fitted but I don't know if there was ever one made for the EC.

When you say it continue to wind on to No 13 then 14 so on and so forth, where is the actual counter, on the body or the back itself? As I said it is a long while since I owned mine I cannot remember. Does it actually show the figures 13,14,15 etc, or is it you just counting?
Old 2nd August 2022, 07:56 AM
Friend

Default EC over counting

I have just had a look at the Butkus camera manual site and it shows the EC with a back fitted. On the same side as the winding crank is a small know near the top of the back marked 12 or 24 with a white dot in the centre. For 12 exp the figure should be opposite the white dot - For 24 exp it should be opposite the 24 figure. Have you inadvertently moved the knob or not realised it's significance.

Have a look at https://www.butkus.org/ the list of cameras covered is large but the Bronica EC is quite near the top
Old 2nd August 2022, 02:23 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
I used to own a EC-TL about 20years ago which is pretty much the same as yours and I cannot remember there being a problem like yours.

Mine used to do the same then as my SQa does today. It is acting as if you have a 220 back fitted but I don't know if there was ever one made for the EC.

When you say it continue to wind on to No 13 then 14 so on and so forth, where is the actual counter, on the body or the back itself? As I said it is a long while since I owned mine I cannot remember. Does it actually show the figures 13,14,15 etc, or is it you just counting?
The counter is on the back and the back has a 12/24 switch for 120 or 220 film. I've carefully set the switch to 12 for 120 film, but once the 12th shot is taken, the film will wind to 13 and stop, I fire the shutter, wind stops at 14, and so on up to 17 when the film releases. Both backs act the same way. If the film should wind freely after 12th shot, I would assume there would either have to be a sensor to feel film thickness (like rolleiflex does) or know that the counter is 12 and the 12/24 switch is set to 12 and the wind on from there. So this is either how it works, or I have 2 backs with the same issue. The manual doesn't have any info on what happens at the end of a 12 roll.

Old 2nd August 2022, 05:37 PM
Friend

Default Over counting

That sounds as if there is a problem with the wind on. Because it happens with both backs, to me that suggests the problem may be in the camera rather than the backs. These cameras are anything up to around 40-45 years old now years old so it may just be a case of a good service and lubrication.

Have you ever had any problem with poor framing with the negatives which could also give us a clue.
Old 3rd August 2022, 12:39 AM
Friend

Quote:
That sounds as if there is a problem with the wind on. Because it happens with both backs, to me that suggests the problem may be in the camera rather than the backs. These cameras are anything up to around 40-45 years old now years old so it may just be a case of a good service and lubrication.

Have you ever had any problem with poor framing with the negatives which could also give us a clue.
No problems with spacing. I don't think the problem is in the body because all the body does is turn 1 gear. The body doesn't know what film is in the back. Also, the back has the counter and the 12/24 switch. I do agree that the age could be causing the issue and it wouldn't be a that unusual for both backs to have the problem. It could be a common problem with the backs and a CLA of the back might fix it. I was hoping I could find someone who actually shoots with the S, S2, EC or EC-TL to confirm this is a problem.

Since I have 2 backs, I might try to take one apart and see what the 12/24 switch does. Maybe it's not moving what its supposed to move and a little clean and lube will fix it.

Old 3rd August 2022, 01:12 AM
Friend

I went back through the camera manual and it say that film cooking should be released after exposure 12, so it should just wind up the rest of the roll. I currently have some 220 film in the second back and if the 12/24 switch is not working properly I might find that when I get to 17 the film winds up. Or maybe both backs are stuck in 24 mode and the switch is not working on either. Hopefully 24 setting gets the whole 220 roll shot. Since I can shoot 120 ok, its just a minor inconvenience, I can't see sending it out to fix. Also u have no idea who could fix it and they'd probably charge more than the back is worth. I will attempt repair on one of the backs once they are empty and hopefully its a minor issue with the 12/24 switch that a little isopropyl alcohol and some Nye oil can fix.

Old 3rd August 2022, 06:52 AM
Friend

Default EC Film Backs

These film back are getting rather rare now so unless you really feel competent to strip one down I think I would trust any repair to a repair shop.
Apart from being rare, spares will not be available either. The reason I said that the fault may lie with the camera body and not the film backs is supported by a comment you made about it being odd that two similar backs should get the same fault. The common denominator being the body of the camera.

One repair man I have used and works only with analogue equipment and if you call him he may be able to give you an idea of what may be wrong and any pitfalls you may hit. Have a look at:-

Ed Trzoska of Euro Photographic Services, 150 Harrowgate Drive, Leicester, LE4 3GP, England. 0116 267 4247. I have spoken to him about getting a Nikon FT3 serviced and the way he answered my questions gave me a lot of confidence in the way he works.

Last edited by John King; 3rd August 2022 at 06:59 AM.
Old 3rd August 2022, 12:58 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyzoc View Post
I will attempt repair on one of the backs once they are empty and hopefully its a minor issue with the 12/24 switch that a little isopropyl alcohol and some Nye oil can fix.
Out of curiosity, I searched eBay for Nye oil and was quite surprised at the high prices. Researching, but for Clock oil, gave a much bigger range of sellers and equipment at much lower prices.

So the question is, is Nye oil really any better than Clock oil?

Terry S
Old 3rd August 2022, 08:43 PM
Friend

Quote:
These film back are getting rather rare now so unless you really feel competent to strip one down I think I would trust any repair to a repair shop.
Apart from being rare, spares will not be available either. The reason I said that the fault may lie with the camera body and not the film backs is supported by a comment you made about it being odd that two similar backs should get the same fault. The common denominator being the body of the camera.

One repair man I have used and works only with analogue equipment and if you call him he may be able to give you an idea of what may be wrong and any pitfalls you may hit. Have a look at:-

Ed Trzoska of Euro Photographic Services, 150 Harrowgate Drive, Leicester, LE4 3GP, England. 0116 267 4247. I have spoken to him about getting a Nikon FT3 serviced and the way he answered my questions gave me a lot of confidence in the way he works.
Thanks, but I'm in the US. I'm fairly competent taking apart equipment. Some cameras, like Exakta, I can completely disassemble. I'm usually good at stopping at my limits. If I can get the side cover off and move the 12/24 switch, it should give me an idea of where the issue is. Also, I'm thinking this will be something solved with cleaning.

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies