Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th August 2022, 03:27 PM
Friend

Default Nikon F4 Stuck Body Cap

The screw-in body cap on my F4 will turn a few degrees left and right but refuses to detach. I was hoping someone may have experienced this conundrum and have a quick-fix solution.

Naturally I'm reluctant to apply excessive force, although I would happily sacrifice the cap itself.

Any pearls of wisdom would be gratefully received. Thank you.

Richard

Last edited by Richard Lee; 18th August 2022 at 03:30 PM.
Old 18th August 2022, 09:02 PM
Friend

Does anything happen if you press the release button then try to remove the cap?
Old 27th August 2022, 09:03 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lee View Post
The screw-in body cap on my F4 will turn a few degrees left and right but refuses to detach. I was hoping someone may have experienced this conundrum and have a quick-fix solution.

Naturally I'm reluctant to apply excessive force, although I would happily sacrifice the cap itself.

Any pearls of wisdom would be gratefully received. Thank you.

Richard
Are you pressing the lens release button? Its next to the mount at 3 oclock...press turn the cap clockwise. I assume you know this but just in case I had to include it. If the cap doesn't turn clockwise with the release pushed, try wiggling the cap left and right while the release is pressed. Maybe the cap is pressing against the release post and preventing it from receeding. Also try slapping the back of the camera in your hand while the release is being pressed. If all else fails maybe you can cut a wedge in the cap over where the locking pin is and lift it off the pin.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 4th September 2022, 11:41 AM
Friend

Default Stuck Lens Cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyzoc View Post
Are you pressing the lens release button? Its next to the mount at 3 oclock...press turn the cap clockwise. I assume you know this but just in case I had to include it. If the cap doesn't turn clockwise with the release pushed, try wiggling the cap left and right while the release is pressed. Maybe the cap is pressing against the release post and preventing it from receeding. Also try slapping the back of the camera in your hand while the release is being pressed. If all else fails maybe you can cut a wedge in the cap over where the locking pin is and lift it off the pin.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Tony,

I'm very grateful for your input but I have indeed tried pressing the lens release button and wiggling the cap in both directions as you suggest, but all to no avail.

The camera has since been handed over to my local photo dealer/repairers wherein it still languishes a couple of weeks later. I expect that by now they'll be resigned to some form of butchery to the cap - way beyond my own personal comfort zone.

Regards,
Richard
Old 21st September 2022, 01:09 PM
Friend

UPDATE:

The offending article was duly removed at the camera repairers - presumably with the use of a sharp impliment of some description, because the camera reappeared with a new body cap.

Three weeks later and £55.00 lighter, I'm very happy to finally have my F4 back.

Richard
Old 27th September 2022, 08:15 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lee View Post
UPDATE:

The offending article was duly removed at the camera repairers - presumably with the use of a sharp impliment of some description, because the camera reappeared with a new body cap.

Three weeks later and £55.00 lighter, I'm very happy to finally have my F4 back.

Richard
55 isn't a bad price. You know they had to put at least 1/2 to 1 hour into it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies