Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 8th March 2011, 07:05 PM
Friend

Adrian, this sounds reminiscent of the D2D fiasco, in which case I don't think the dealers need worry. By the way we are not alone on this. A thread has been started on APUG with an equally vehement response. It will be interesting to see if Harman responds when it gets back from Focus on Imaging.

Presumably Harman can cast its eyes on FADU without making its presence known or can it? I'd be surprised if it doesn't want to check things out on another analogue site like FADU once it sees the thread on APUG.

Mike
Old 8th March 2011, 07:12 PM
Friend

Long may you remain an antiquated leftover Martin. Why, I can't imagine my life without the occasional visit to Silverprint for a quick 'fix', and a few other bits n bobs
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 8th March 2011, 07:15 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
A thread has been started on APUG with an equally vehement response. It will be interesting to see if Harman responds when it gets back from Focus on Imaging.

Presumably Harman can cast its eyes on FADU without making its presence known or can it? I'd be surprised if it doesn't want to check things out on another analogue site like FADU once it sees the thread on APUG.

Mike
I'm sure that Simon Galley's mailbox is bursting with PM's by now.
Old 8th March 2011, 07:24 PM
Friend

I'm kind of curious about what is it exactly that we term "dealers"?
I take it to be the retail locations - not the online dealers. Is that how others mean it?
Old 8th March 2011, 07:29 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavelDerka View Post
I take it to be the retail locations - not the online dealers. Is that how others mean it?
For me now it's on-line, which is how most here would have to deal with companies such as our sponsors. One or two still have walk-in stores.
Old 8th March 2011, 07:30 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavelDerka View Post
Pavel, that is my understanding too, however many so called, 'high street' or 'location' retailers offer online service as well as having a 'call-in' counter.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 8th March 2011, 07:31 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Adrian, this sounds reminiscent of the D2D fiasco, in which case I don't think the dealers need worry. By the way we are not alone on this. A thread has been started on APUG with an equally vehement response. It will be interesting to see if Harman responds when it gets back from Focus on Imaging.

Mike
Yes they can, and Simon Galley told me several years ago that they do. I have no idea if that's still the case.
Old 8th March 2011, 08:07 PM
Friend

I have used Harman Express (with the 10% discount) as well as Silverprint & AG in the past year.

While I am happy to take the slightly lower prices that the Harman 10% discount gets you I am not comfortable abandoning my traditional dealers.

However, since the Feb 1st price increase when Harman put their price up to £44 for 25 sheets of 5x4 HP5, they have effectively taken themselves out of the game.

Martin
Old 8th March 2011, 09:19 PM
Friend

Interesting ... I had approached this as dealer meaning a walk in store but didn't factor in online stores, which I somehow presumed Ilford would not undercut, because of volume and what must be volume discounts. Well, I guess I should read more carefully.

I have to say that I do see it differently now after digesting more of this thread.

I really do wonder how come film prices from ilford are so low here in the US compared to the UK. I imagine that the product is actually manufactured in the UK - right? Or is it a UK company which manufactures the product somewhere else? Could it be volume? I somehow doubt that. Perhaps some kind of EU or UK taxation that somehow does not impact exports to the US?

Interesting .... and strange .... all of this.
Old 8th March 2011, 10:31 PM
Friend

Frankly I don't care what Harman charge for their products as long as their prices reflect the cost of manufacture and incorporate a decent profit margin to keep the company going.

What I do resent is the diversion of money to intermediaries. Shippers, warehousers, importers, wholesalers, distributors, and retailers all want their their cut. None of these people contribute to the continuing existence of film as a premium niche product.

The marketing of film needs to evolve away from a bloated distribution chain into a lean and indefinitely sustainable model. All I truly want is to deal direct with Harman and make sure they get ALL the money (surely they deserve it) apart from a minimal skim to a delivery agency. If Harman have difficulty in setting up an efficient direct selling division I would be willing to go to England to head it up for them.
The word Photography first uttered and defined by its author Sir John Herschel at Somerset House, London on the evening of March 14, 1839: quote "Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation" unquote.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies