Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th March 2011, 12:36 PM
Friend

Default Arista brand in the UK?

Most memebers here are from the UK. I get the sense that the Freestyle brand of films and papers are somehow not available on your side. Are they?

With all the talk of prices being cranked up I thought I'd put it out for discussion, just in case some are unaware of the availability and remarkable prices.

For example in 35mm a roll of 36 exposure Arista Edu is $ 2.09 in US dollars and is a re-badge of Foma.

Even more remarkable is the Arista Premium line which at iso 100 is Kodak Plus-X and the 400 is Kodak Tri-X - marvelous films on the best base that I've ever had the pleasure to use - at a price of $ 2.19.

Two dollars and nineteen cents! What would that be in euros? About sixty percent of that cost.

Is there no way to get them as an advertiser and set up some kind of bulk shipping several times a year for a group of members? I mean that would be a shockingly refreshing price, would it not?

Or could one of the advertizers here buy in bulk add shipping and markup - and all still come out way ahead?

Frankly I'm very puzzled that this option is not yet seemingly in place and a roaring success.

Those angry at Harmon, well that may get some strong attention!
Old 16th March 2011, 12:47 PM
Friend

Paul, as far as I am aware the Arista brand is not available over here, wish it was as we could all do with saving some pennies,Richard
Old 16th March 2011, 01:41 PM
Friend

Who sells it in the US Pavel? I only looked at B&H but they don't appear to.

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Old 16th March 2011, 01:56 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH Designs View Post
Who sells it in the US Pavel? I only looked at B&H but they don't appear to.
Richard, if I may but in; Freestyle are on of the US sellers.

A friend of mine used to import their sheet film and spoke highly of it.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 16th March 2011, 02:09 PM
Friend

the company Freestyle has over the years worked out arangements with various companies to sell them rebranded films and Freestyle manages somehow to pass the products to customers at very impressive savings.

It is not simply film, but also papers and I believe a few other items.

The films available at this moment are .... well one link is worht a hundred words right
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...arit_45mm.html

I don't know how they do it but the prices seems like they are low enough for someone in the UK to buy and sell with a profit, I would think, and everyone could come out smiling.

Of course I'm wondering what it may be that I don't know about that could make this impossible. Duty? Taxes? I don't know ... hopefully nothing.

My own experience with their papers are that they are good consistent products but lighter in weight. I've not tried their higher end Arista private reserve paper but at $38.99 a box of 100 at 8x10 I will next month.

Aside from wanting to present this as an opportunity to test out ... I wonder if may not make other companies take notice of the potential loss of sales due to the price imbalance. Never a bad thing, right?

I just bought 45 rolls of Arista 400 (Kodak Tri-X) and it cost me 98.55 plus $7.99 shipping. You bet I'm smiling and I have to admit that perhaps my attitude towards Harmon may be more in chorus if I didn't have such a way out. I bought a few extra rolls of Delta 400 at a store in Savannah this weekend at $6.99. Ouch! Its different when it isn't academic, I have to admit.

Last month it was was Arista 100 which was short dated. This is Kodak plus-x, a film I really like. Short dated price? $1.59! I bought 80 rolls!

I hope this is viable for other countries to ship and still come out feeling like it was a steal.

Last edited by PavelDerka; 16th March 2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 16th March 2011, 02:21 PM
Friend

It is a good thought Pavel. I see a lot of mention of Arista on the other site. Sooner or later if the gap between the U.S. and U.K. prices remains or gets worse then someone will work out that importing the very stuff that would appear to prevent Harman charging in the U.S. what it does here will allow a win/win situation.

As I understand things even for some Harman products it would pay us to directly re-import it back into the U.K. as it would still be cheaper.

My slightly black sense of humour still makes me want to laugh at this as a situation but my wallet and desire to be treated fairly won't.

Mike
Old 16th March 2011, 02:43 PM
Friend

There is no doubt that savings can be made on certain products, and I have taken advantage of the situation in the past when our pound was a lot stronger than it is at the present. As ever the factors to be weighed are taxes, around +25%. Customs fees £10. Shipping cost starting at around £30 but goes up rapidly, and lastly transit delays which depend on shipping type selected; don't pick seafreight as I once did.

I guess what I'm saying is do your sums before ordering a bargain.
Old 16th March 2011, 02:57 PM
Friend

I just heard the sound of my bubble pop'n!
Old 16th March 2011, 03:34 PM
Friend

It does need to be a big differential to make it worthwhile. For example, I buy Stouffer step wedges in batches of 100 from the manufacturer. They ship UPS which just about doubles the unit cost, and then there's VAT (though no import duty). As a result they look rather expensive compared to buying direct from the USA but still my margin is negligible .

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Old 16th March 2011, 03:36 PM
Friend

Am I right in thinking parcels under the value of £18 or thereabouts don't attract duty or VAT? If that's the case then a dozen rolls in a jiffy bag might work out at good value.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies