Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th April 2011, 01:29 AM
Friend

Default Kodak Price Jump

I dont' know how it is in Europe and other areas right now but here in the US, the land of apparently cheap film, the other shoe seems to be falling.

I'm basing this on prices at Freestyle because they buy less quantities of film than the mega houses like B&H so they cycle the stock faster.

While there seems to be plenty of old stock left at many online retailers for a while yet - Kodak 35mm 36 rolls have risen from 3.57 when I bought last to the new stock price of $5.39! Ouch.

That is still a bit cheaper than Delta at 6.16 (one of the most expensive there is) but it certainly shows the state of things.

We are in a change and it does not look to ever get better. Ahh the good ol' days of last year!

Now it is certainly not going to stop me from using film even when it goes to 12.50 or whatever it will hit in a few years when I will be lamenting the cheap films of 2011, but it did really hit home to me the slow change from everyday commodity to a boutique item.

While I don't want price increases, I can see the good of it. I feel if anything can, then it will be the "rare and expensive" label that will make film shooting valid again.

However, still .... OUCH!

I need to buy a Freezer for $600, in order to save money!
Old 6th April 2011, 10:30 AM
Friend

Perhaps, this is an indication of demand exceeding supply!?

...not all that far fetched given how much Kodak has cut back on film production.

There's hope in these footsteps of persistence...
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies