Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th September 2021, 08:21 PM
Friend

I like to have the settings for my masking frame drawn onto the back of waste prints in the various sizes I use for full frame for 35mm,645 and 66, that could be a user for some of the sheets,
Richard
Old 11th September 2021, 06:25 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
Over here DPD who were silverprints carriers, will only deliver to the named addressee, and will not leave at another address without your written permission so without such permission the company would be liable at least under Jersey law
Richard
I have always found that DPD were the most reliable of all the couriers and with their E mail telling you what time the item will be delivered is almost always spot on.

I have mentioned Hermes before and I would put them right at the bottom of the pile and then some.
Old 11th September 2021, 06:39 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Firstly I would be LIVID! You are entitled to have restitution from one or both. Cool tone paper in 11 x 14 size isn't the cheapest around.
I assume your package was in it's sealed box when this idiot opened it. Firstly if it were me and I received an unexpected package I would check the address. But if I missed that and opened it up I have to split the box seal, then open up the internal plastic bag - also sealed. I think if it were me who lost the parcel I would be claiming the cost off the house owner it was delivered to.

Some years ago a parcel was delivered to my next door neighbour because I wasn't in. No problem because we know each other and we take each others packages in. I wasn't expecting anything though
When I got it, it was correctly addressed to me but contained a rack of very nice ring/open end top quality combination spanners which must have cost at least £30 -£40.

The sender was Halfords, so I rang the dispatch up, but they had no trace of any order for me . I asked if they wanted to collect them or send a return bag postage paid but no, they said we don't want them just keep them. They have come in very useful I can tell you.

It would be interesting to see what they do in your case.
Old 11th September 2021, 01:44 PM
Friend

Just to add to my ebay seller problem that I've mentioned - I have started a case against the seller, who states that he didn't open my order of darkroom paper to the light and therefore wouldn't be refunding me.

Interestingly, looking at other items on his site for sale, I came across this (which I wish I had seen before purchase!) quote (my bold and italics): 'I inspect all of my items (including opening boxes) before listing and dispatching them.' I wonder what he will do when it is presented to him - other than taking it off his site if he's got any sense at all.

I just hope that Martin is able to make a case and is able to get his money back for the paper, so that he can purchase some more.

Terry S
Old 11th September 2021, 04:12 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
It's not the end of the world, I ruin lots of sheets of paper by printing my photographs on them
Martin
Martin, I would like to commend you on the light-hearted and positive manner in which you've dealt with this misfortune.
Clearly, many of us wouldn't have been quite so understanding, myself included!

Unfortunately, I can't replace the Ilford Cooltone but I've got an as yet unopened (!) box of Foma Fomaspeed variant 311 glossy 9.5x12" 50 sheets that you're welcome to if you'd like? Just drop me a PM with your address and I'll pop it in the post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PSX_20210911_181053.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	4242  

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 12th September 2021, 07:02 AM
Friend

Default Gift of paper

That gift of paper to replace the one damaged when it was opened is very generous and should be an example to all.

Going back to the problem in hand can I suggest a couple of legal points. We can all make mistakes and I would suggest that the Courier made one but it was a catalyst with what happened subsequently.

The person who opened the box when it was clearly addressed to her - irrespective - that she didn't read the address lable assumed the ownership of the item , then compounded the problem to her detriment by opening the box and the internal packet. Thereby rendering it useless. That would be covered by the the Theft Act 1968 S1 when she Assumed the rights of the owner.

Secondly, by damaging property i.e. the contents of the box 'Intentionally or Negligently' would be covered by the Criminal Damage Act 1976 S1.

Now, I am not even suggesting that you go down that line - yet, but would be a good lever should the woman who received them refuses to pay any form of compensation to cover the cost of the paper and the carriage. I just hope this person was not a friend of the family that can cause untold fallout!

Last edited by John King; 12th September 2021 at 07:32 AM.
Old 12th September 2021, 08:18 AM
Friend

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
That gift of paper to replace the one damaged when it was opened is very generous and should be an example to all.
Thank you, John, but with all respect it's Martin's generosity of spirit towards his neighbours that deserves credit and should serve as an example to us all. Especially during these trying times.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 13th September 2021, 09:01 AM
Friend

They might be used for Lumen Printing depending on how far off they are gone.

Vincent - Not afraid of the dark
Old 13th September 2021, 09:59 AM
Friend

From the description of the test they are completely shot.

But then again why should he have to compromise in the use of ae perfectly good product damaged by someone else's stupidity?
Old 13th September 2021, 10:01 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Polton View Post
At the moment there is an auction on ebay for about twenty glass plates.
A lovely picture shows them spread out like a pack of playing cards.
The seller proudly declares that have been checked and are in excellent condition.

Cheers.
I had a look at E Bay and the only ones i saw had already been exposed and developed so apart from physical damage there's not a problem
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies