Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 27th April 2022, 08:27 AM
Friend

Default Staining

Asking people on the Forum is a good idea but without the technical back up from the manufacturers, there can be a number of false reasons for your problems that only FOMA can really give a definitive answer.
Old 27th April 2022, 09:51 AM
Friend

Hi Neil-
Film developed emulsion side UP. I couldn't bring myself to process emulsion down for fear of damage.

John- so obvious I didn't think of it. Foma have a website with contact email. I'll drop a message to them.
Old 27th April 2022, 04:17 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Hi Neil-
Film developed emulsion side UP. I couldn't bring myself to process emulsion down for fear of damage.

John- so obvious I didn't think of it. Foma have a website with contact email. I'll drop a message to them.

I have had a stain similar to the one you have shown on the back of a sheet of film. I assumed insufficiant washing caused by sticking - the blobs cured the problem.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 27th April 2022, 04:31 PM
Friend

Hi Neil.
Yes, I have experienced sheet film sticking to the bottom of the tray and consequently having purple blotches on the back of the film at the end of processing. It has never been the whole sheet, and easily washed out once the film was peeled off the bottom of the tray.
This might sound bizarre, but the more I look the other 3 sheets seem a little less stained than normal. It's almost as if this 1 sheet preferentially 'sucked up' all the stain.
As John suggests I'm going to message Foma, but I don't expect a quick response.

Just home, so might try exposing and developing another couple of sheets from the new box tonight.
Cheers
Colin
Old 27th April 2022, 05:00 PM
Friend

Colin,

It could well be tech issue but would Foma admit to this? Interestly my Foma 5x4s have all been problem free with tray dev, which I only do now. The problem I had with the occasional sticking sheet was with HP5+ ! But the blobs conversion sorted this out.

I have used a fair bit of 5x4 Foma 100 (@ ISO 50) with no problems but have now moved to Foma 200 on 5x4.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 27th April 2022, 05:18 PM
Friend

Hi Neil.
I did dabble briefly with a Paterson Orbital, but I've been exclusively tray processing my sheet film for years now. My DIY slosher has a perforated bottom to allow chemical flow- the only time sheets have stuck is when doing a second round of film, and the film is going into a wet tray. I then occasionally get a bit of 'suction' and a sheet will stick.

Would Foma admit to a technical problem? Of course they would, customer satisfaction is everything

ps- I agree on ISO 50
Old 28th April 2022, 08:55 AM
Friend

Quote:
Hi Neil.
I did dabble briefly with a Paterson Orbital, but I've been exclusively tray processing my sheet film for years now. My DIY slosher has a perforated bottom to allow chemical flow- the only time sheets have stuck is when doing a second round of film, and the film is going into a wet tray. I then occasionally get a bit of 'suction' and a sheet will stick.

Would Foma admit to a technical problem? Of course they would, customer satisfaction is everything

ps- I agree on ISO 50

Collin,

It is looking like a 'one off' to me and you will probaly won't get it again. Some great results can be obtained with this film, hopefully Foma will have a look and advise.

Maybe ......

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 28th April 2022, 11:31 AM
Friend

Hi Neil.
I think Foma 100 has a particular look to it. Although I've tried FP4, HP5 and some Adox in 5x4, all my favourite images have been on Foma. That could be pure chance, or a bit of imagination, but I'm sticking with it despite its occasional foibles.
Old 28th April 2022, 03:32 PM
Friend

Quote:
Hi Neil.
I think Foma 100 has a particular look to it. Although I've tried FP4, HP5 and some Adox in 5x4, all my favourite images have been on Foma. That could be pure chance, or a bit of imagination, but I'm sticking with it despite its occasional foibles.
Colin,

I have used the 100 mainly for alternative work where there can be, with me, a lot of wasted film to ge the density right for the process involved. But when I get the exposure / dev right I found it it works very well alround with good quality results.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 28th April 2022, 05:16 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
Colin,

It could well be tech issue but would Foma admit to this?
Neil.
Any company worth dealing with, if you have a problem they would be glad to help in case there were others. I think Ilford had a problem with the backing paper on 120 film and they took it on board.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies