Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Print Finishing

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th October 2016, 10:54 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
Fomatone chamois says it all, the paper surface is almost chamois like in colour, a lovely paper, one of the warmest papers around, so to get the best you need the right negative, a negative that crys out for a lot of warmth, not every negative suits this sort of treatment, but with the right negative it can be simply stunning
Richard
I agree with what has been said. It is a great paper I use it as often as I can. It is a warm tint paper meaning the paper is warm in colour. You can increase the warmth of the paper by using warmtone developers or tone it down by using cold or blue tone developers.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 25th October 2016, 12:48 PM
Friend

Default Textured paper

I have an idea that searching for a paper exactly as you describe may be impossible to find. The very nature of photographic paper means it will have to have a reasonably smooth surface so that the emulsion can be applied evenly.
Good luck anyway.
Old 25th October 2016, 01:38 PM
Friend

The only way I can think of is to by the right sort of paper for your purposes and coat your own using one of the bottled emulsions available, not something I have tried but I have seen some nice prints done that way
Richard
Old 25th October 2016, 03:47 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
The only way I can think of is to by the right sort of paper for your purposes and coat your own using one of the bottled emulsions available, not something I have tried but I have seen some nice prints done that way
Richard
This is something I'll be trying at some point, but I think I can find a suitable commercial paper among the suggestions everyone has given. So far, Ilford ART 300 paper and Foma 'nature' both sound like they might fit the bill. The next step is probably to get a small pack of each to see how it works out.
Old 25th October 2016, 07:28 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Is it possible to get what I think is called a "swatch" of papers still? By that I mean a small book of the same photograph on the range of papers made. The swatch will be from one manufacturer only of course so you'd need one from say Ilford, Foma, Adox etc
Ilford provide a swatch through their Harmanexpress site - http://www.harmanexpress.com/prod/11...watch-Book.htm
But it's £20 for 18 5x7 examples!

Regards
Vic
Old 25th October 2016, 09:05 PM
Friend

Thanks Vic. Nice to know that it is available. It might seem expensive but it is the whole range and it is a permanent source of knowledge for those who want to be able to refer to which papers meet their needs.

The break-even cost might be if a user could eliminate a number of varieties of paper and then buy small packs of each paper but on balance a swatch looks favourite

Mike
Old 7th November 2016, 08:57 PM
Friend

I can only second the choice of ART300 paper - the most unique paper on today's market in that regard. I don't use it often, but for some subjects and applications it's just right - and shares properties with their MG WT FB.
Old 8th November 2016, 05:51 AM
Friend

I also like ART300 and like Klaus don't use it enough, do read the instructions regarding its process particularly that it mustn't stay in liquid for to long.
Richard
Old 8th November 2016, 07:57 AM
Friend

I also like Art 300, although I have only recently started using it, a lovely and unique paper, I used to use Kentmere art classic, untill it was stopped and art 300 is a worthy replacement
Richard
Old 19th November 2016, 06:32 PM
Friend

Hello EdmundH

Swatch books showing the different paper surfaces are available from Harman (Ilford) for both MG4 RC & FB and the Kentmere range. I actually got mine free several years ago, but now they charge for them around £18-£20 each (mentioned on Apug).

If you looking for a matt or satin finish in RC you're choices are probably quite limited now. About 2 years ago, I did obtain and still have some Silverprint RC Proof paper which was a true matt surface and produced very realistic high quality prints not plastic looking at all. I actually did a test of that paper and can be seen here. http://www.larrygalliford.co.uk/blog...tering-devices

If it helps indirectly for anyone or FADU members still using this paper combined with an RH Designs exposure meter then that link may be of interest.

Seriously, like many others, you'll probably need to explore fibre based paper options of what's currently available.

Last edited by Larry; 19th November 2016 at 06:37 PM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies