Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Top Tips

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th November 2019, 10:46 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Michael and the rest of the respondents, I just clicked on Pete's link again and without me doing anything it opened it without any adverts so what changed???

Mike
It's just chance how long Youtube's advertising lasts, sometimes you have to watch a complete advert then a second starts which you can skip after 2-3 seconds. Sometimes there's no advert.

They want us to Subscribe to their Premium service.

Ian
Old 26th November 2019, 12:28 PM
Friend

Thanks Ian. I just clicked onto Pete's link again a few seconds ago and there was another advert albeit not as long and there was no way I could see to "skip ads"

Logically I cannot see why YouTube would give its viewers a "get out " option but seemingly Michael has found a "skip ads" button

So let us know how it's done Michael if you would

Thanks

Mike
Old 26th November 2019, 01:17 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Thanks Ian. I just clicked onto Pete's link again a few seconds ago and there was another advert albeit not as long and there was no way I could see to "skip ads"

Logically I cannot see why YouTube would give its viewers a "get out " option but seemingly Michael has found a "skip ads" button

So let us know how it's done Michael if you would

Thanks

Mike
I get the same 'skip ads' link all the time, which comes up bottom right, usually a few seconds after the ad has started playing.

I really can't think why this is not offered to you Mike and I don't know enough about cookies and the like, to say what can be done by yourself to avoid longer ads.

You could always use the time for the ads to boil the kettle for a drink - I used to do the same before video and now digital recorders were invented. So, don't ask me about a particular advert, however good, as I probably haven't seen it!

Terry S
Old 26th November 2019, 03:17 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
I get the same 'skip ads' link all the time, which comes up bottom right, usually a few seconds after the ad has started playing.

Terry S
OK If everyone else get the option to skip ads then I will cease to say any more on this as it may be just me that "suffers" but if anyone else has the problem then it would appear that if you start the link which initially has the ad then close it and restart it from Pete's link the ad disappears. It is as if YouTube assumes that you have already seen the ad so it may be counterproductive to make you view it again.

Mike
Old 26th November 2019, 03:54 PM
Friend

I just clicked on my 'link' and it came up straight away WITH the 'skip ads' arrow thing on bottom right of the Video picture no probs !
Old 26th November 2019, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Different peeps will get different adverts depending on what the youtube/google algorithm thinks it can sell you and how much it thinks it can get away with... Never heard of an ad that long tho.

I don't know if they fixed it but it used to be that hitting Refresh on the page will load the page again without an ad, or with a different, hopefully skippable, one. But I use so many add-ins to block tracking and intrusive adverts that that may just be me...

Most ads are skippable, but there are non-skippable ones. Youtube knows if they make them unskippable people will be dissuaded from keeping on clicking on new videos. It's a fine game the algorithm plays: how much annoyance versus keeping you watching (and hence being served more adverts).

It just occurred to me that such a long ad may not have come from youtube, especially if it was Chinese, as youtube/google know exactly where you live and will target adverts accordingly... Some browser plug-ins and other "free" software can intercept your browser and feed adverts into your browser that look like a youtube advert. One massive laptop manufacturer, Lenovo, got caught doing this with ALL the laptops it sold)

Last edited by Bob; 26th November 2019 at 05:49 PM.
Old 26th November 2019, 06:03 PM
Friend

Pete, I think you've picked up ome immigrant traits from the emigres who moved to the East End from middle Europe and Russia in the late 18800's early 1900's.

Unfortunately there aren't similar tricks for 120 and large format

Ian
Old 26th November 2019, 06:06 PM
Friend

Enthralling conversations about skipping adverts ??

Back to the video content.

Quite a few years ago before the internet and home printers, sticky barcode labels were advertised in the photography press. The labels enabled you to fool automatic cameras into thinking a different speed of film had been inserted into the camera.
Never had a completely automatic camera so I glossed over them at the time.
Not sure if they were optically read or electrically read with contacts.

Instead of taping over the iso code on the cassette with blank tape you correctly orientated the sticky label on the cassette and then fooled the camera film speed reader.

The more computer literate amongst us could maybe apply their little grey cells to replicate these labels.

Here's hoping.

Cheers.
Old 26th November 2019, 06:08 PM
Friend

They're still available, Nat. FirstCall's website is one place to start.
Old 26th November 2019, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Guilty as charged

Firstcall sell some stickers but they are expensive @ 2.99 for 5.

If you search for: DX code labels

there are a few DIY options out there using printer labels, kitchen foil and glue if Peter's ISO100 tip is not suitable for you.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies