Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Reviews > Equipment

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th October 2009, 07:18 PM
Friend

Default Do I buy a heated print dryer or not?

Dear All
Do members of FADU use a heated print dryer? I am in two minds, do I or do I not buy one? I realy would appreciate your views.
Thanks
John
Lincoln
Old 18th October 2009, 07:33 PM
Friend

It depends what type of heated print dryer you mean. I used to use one of those ones with the curved stainless steel plates and the canvas sheets for fibre-based paper until it blew up. I never bothered repairing or replacing it, and I don't miss it. If you get a bit of grit or fluff on the plate, or stuck in the canvas it will leave a mark on the print.

On the other hand, I do use a print dryer for resin-coated paper. It's the kind with wire racks and a fan heater. It drys paper in about 5 minutes and is great. I don't think either type are made anymore, but you could probably make your own.

print dryers are not essential, though, and prints can be dried by just clipping them onto a line with clothes pegs. FB papers dry a bit flatter if they are pegged together, back-to-back.

You'll find quite a bit on print drying on FADU!

Rob
Old 18th October 2009, 08:49 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Dear All
Do members of FADU use a heated print dryer? I am in two minds, do I or do I not buy one? I realy would appreciate your views.
Thanks
John
Lincoln
Both types are available new from RK Photographic, or Second-hand from Secondhand Darkroom Supplies
Old 19th October 2009, 01:24 PM
Friend

I sometimes use mine for quck drying of FB prints to guage the effect of print drydown.
Usually air dry back to back on clothes line above my wet area. Kentmere 12X9.5 dries pretty flat like this

Andrew
Old 19th October 2009, 01:50 PM
Friend

I use an old Marrutt drying cabinet where I hang my fibre prints back-to-back, usually to dry at room temperature, but occasionally with a bit of heat if I need them more quickly. Heat drying does tend to require quite a bit of flattening in the press afterwards.

When I've got the space, I just leave them to dry between blotters, definitely best for flatness.

On the rare occasions I use RC paper, I've got an old Ilford dryer that still works nicely.
Old 19th October 2009, 02:23 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Dear All
Thanks
John
Lincoln
Hi John, I use an apron type print dryer for my FB papers but use it cautiously. That is I only part dry the prints this way by drying them for only 3 minutes at 50*C. When they come off the dryer they are still damp. I then put the prints between photographic quality blotters (from Silverprint) under weights to finish drying at room temperature.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 19th October 2009, 02:25 PM
Friend

How quick do you want your prints? If you are in a hurry then a print dryer makes sense. If you are not then why waste electricity and clutter your self up with another gadget?
Old 19th October 2009, 03:50 PM
Friend

Never felt the need of one myself. I just air dry my FB prints then afterwards they go under a pile of books for a few days to get the wrinkles out :-)

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 19th October 2009, 06:54 PM
Friend

I've been using Kentmere 12 X 9.5 FB paper recently
It dries pretty much flat and wrinkle- free when hung back to back on a line.
Ilford MG I always had to get the books out though.
Interesting?

Well it is to me..
Old 19th October 2009, 07:21 PM
Friend

Even more interesting is that with Ilford taking over Kentmere, will the difference you refer to in flatness and wrinkle free quality remain?

As you use the word "recently" it may be that you have moved on to the Mobberley produced Kentmere FB, in which case the difference remains so good news there.

Let us know, thanks

Mike

Tags
print dryer
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies