Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > FADU 2010

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 31st July 2010, 08:52 AM
Friend

Default Announcement FADU 2010

It is beginning to look like I will have to cancel our planned exhibition FADU2010 due to a problem with the venue. I provide a very brief summation of my difficulties below because you deserve to be kept informed as early as possible.

Last Tuesday (27th) I called into the Exhibition venue to check measurement to allow me to prepare a hanging plan for the Gallery space we were allocated. I picked up a forthcoming events brochure out of interest to see how they has publicised our event; imagine my shock and confusion when I saw that someone else is listed in our slot for September.

I called for the Theatre Administrator with whom I had agreed the booking to explain the situation and received the reply that he had made a mistake and given the slot to someone else! He apologised profusely to me for his error and said that it’s too late to alter their programme or cancel the second booking. This led to a rather heated exchange that has since been continued by email, and which has absorbed a great deal of my time over the intervening few days.

Later contact with the Executive Director of the venue has lifted the discussion to the Artistic Director whose initial response of “go away, nothing can be done, we’ve given the space to someone else”, through a suggestion that I should talk to the local museum curator about a space that they may have spare for a week, to an offer made by them yesterday afternoon of a small, inferior space in the Theatre which is quite unsuitable. I have declined this last offer and suggested that they give it to the party to whom they erroneously given our slot on the basis that if it’s considered good enough for us, then it must be good enough for them. Last night they declined to act on my suggestion.

Because of the time constraints on me I have now asked both the Chief Executive of the Borough Council, and my own area Councillor to get involved during the next week to try to persuade the Theatre management to fulfil their contract with me/us.

I have a short holiday booked so cannot do much more right now. I will report to you on progress on my return next week. If the event has to be cancelled I will obviously refund all monies paid to me by way of postage and entry fees with the return of entries. Those of you that have made bookings and travel arrangements should let them stand until we hear a final result from the other party next week. If any of you suffer a loss on your travel arrangements or accommodation because of this event then I will make that loss good and seek to recover it from the venue.
Old 31st July 2010, 10:27 AM
Friend

Ouch. I thought you said yours was "the best bit" of England.

Dave, I'm confident that your efforts will succeed in getting something arranged. And do what you can to have a good holiday.
Old 31st July 2010, 10:54 AM
Friend

Sorry to here this Dave I hope you can resolve this without anymore stress and hassle and your part. Their response seems diabolical.

Neil
Old 31st July 2010, 11:26 AM
Friend

Dave, if worse comes to worse, you might consider holding the photographs and seeing if the Theater can make the space available at a later date or if another space might be used - either in Wellingborough or, perhaps, another town/city. I can check around here in NY, but then I would probably be the only one from the group to see the exhibition!

In any event, you might also go ahead with the 2010 Yearbook if everyone would still want to see/have one?

Thanks for all your efforts Dave and let the matter rest while you enjoy a good holiday!

There's hope in these footsteps of persistence...
Old 31st July 2010, 01:34 PM
Friend

Enjoy your holiday, Dave!

The rest will come out in the wash, donīt worry!
( I say this though I do not participate this time )

MonoArt - fine photographs
Old 31st July 2010, 01:44 PM
Friend

Dave That's an absolute B***er. If they cannot be budged is another nearby venue possible such as Rushden, Finedon, Irthlingborough or even Kettering. All within easy reach by car which is how the non Northants FADUers will be getting there in the main anyhow.

Given how much right you have on your side I doubt if the party at fault would want it to be escalated too far before conceding ground.

Try and enjoy your break in the meantime.

Mike
Old 31st July 2010, 04:02 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-NY View Post

In any event, you might also go ahead with the 2010 Yearbook if everyone would still want to see/have one?
I would, it depends if anyone else who submitted prints would buy one as well.

Never mind, s**t happens as they say.
Old 1st August 2010, 08:54 AM
Friend

Default Simplest solution

If Dave is not sickened by all the stress. It seems to me the best solution is for Dave to keep a hold of the packages , prints, and money untill such time that a new set of dates becomes available for the exhibition. Simply put on hold
Old 1st August 2010, 09:10 AM
Friend

Quote:
It seems to me the best solution is for Dave to keep a hold of the packages , prints, and money until such time that a new set of dates becomes available for the exhibition. Simply put on hold
I would agree. No need to rush into any quick decisions, let the dust settle and then see what the options are.

Tony
Old 1st August 2010, 01:12 PM
Friend

I agree with Dave Hall's suggestion as well.

On the other hand, I'd quite like to get in contact with them and the Arts Council they so proudly display on their homepage as I don't think the Arts Council would be pleased at their behaviour in this matter. This is, at the very least, a lack of manners. You do not backtrack on your commitments because something better came along. You say sorry to the second party and refund their money and tell them to go away. You had this booked well in advance.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies