Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Ask Les

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th December 2010, 09:46 AM
Friend

Default Boxed film

Les,
I have just begun the l/f path, I have purchased some basic kit and a box of FP4 film.
This probably seems a daft question;
I know one loads the slides in the dark, but do not know how to tell in the dark which side has the emulsion on! Also how is the film packaged in the box?
I am sure you will come to dread seeing my name!!!
Regards,
David

***   Please note: this is the ASK LES forum   ***
***   Only Les McLean and the original poster may post in this thread   ***
***   Anyone else posting into this thread will have their post deleted   ***

Old 18th December 2010, 08:15 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave shutter View Post
Les,
I have just begun the l/f path, I have purchased some basic kit and a box of FP4 film.
This probably seems a daft question;
I know one loads the slides in the dark, but do not know how to tell in the dark which side has the emulsion on! Also how is the film packaged in the box?
I am sure you will come to dread seeing my name!!!
Regards,
David
Hi David
When you open the box the film is likely to be in a piece of folded white card like a hinged book. Place it on the bench with the short open end toward you and open it to gain access to the film. Locate the top right hand side of the film, I run my finger up to the top of the right hand side edge(long side) of the film. If you can feel some small indentations cut out at the top right corner along the top (short side)of the film the emulsion side is facing up toward you.

The box has two lids to make it light tight, one being fitted from the top and the other from the bottom. When loading the fiilm try not to touch the emulsion with your finger for there is a danger that you may leave a finger print on the surface.

Don't forget to close the box in the same way as it was when you opened it before you switch on the light. Yes, I did not close the box after I loaded 6 double dark slides when I first used my MPP. I went out to expose the film and came back to process the film and found an open box of 38 sheets of FP4 lying on the bench in my darkroom. never again did I do that.

Have fun and please let us know how you got on.
Old 13th January 2011, 08:24 AM
Friend

Default Film!!

Les,
Many thanks for your help, I managed to load and use 6 sheets over Christmas, now the next step is to get them processed.
I have found some firms offering to process them in A.P., does one send the exposed film in the slides?
Apologies for the endless daft questions, I must try and find a local mentor.
Thanks,
David
Old 13th January 2011, 01:45 PM
Friend

Hi David

Pleased to hear the first steps have been safely negotiated. You don't send the film in double dark slides. You keep the film boxes and plastc bags the film comes in and send exposed film in them. As this is your first venture into 5 x 4 you'll not have any empty film boxes so if you let me have your mailing address I'll send you some.

All the best
Les

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

***   Please note: this is the ASK LES forum   ***
***   Only Les McLean and the original poster may post in this thread   ***
***   Anyone else posting into this thread will have their post deleted   ***