Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Toning

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th March 2024, 10:19 PM
Friend

I got some amber tones yesterday with my first fibre prints in a while.
However this wasn't intended... and I'm pretty certain this was from slightly too long in the fix combined with too short a wash in rather cold water in the Nova. I only wanted archival toning from a 1+20 dilution.
I must brush up my methods - probably need to check for Hypo clear in the cupboard and if none then buy some more - can i just use Sodium Sulphite ?
Old 21st March 2024, 02:49 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark J View Post
...probably need to check for Hypo clear in the cupboard and if none then buy some more - can i just use Sodium Sulphite ?
As a washing aid for FB prints, yes! Some formulas on the web suggest the addition of one other similar chemical, but that's only if you want to make up some to keep and dilute later. I mix mine up just before I need it, using between 1 - 2 TABLE-spoonfuls mixed into a water bath and stirred to mix. Then I put the prints in for about 10 minutes before a shortened wash cycle.

Terry S
Old 21st March 2024, 04:42 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
As a washing aid for FB prints, yes! Some formulas on the web suggest the addition of one other similar chemical, but that's only if you want to make up some to keep and dilute later. I mix mine up just before I need it, using between 1 - 2 TABLE-spoonfuls mixed into a water bath and stirred to mix. Then I put the prints in for about 10 minutes before a shortened wash cycle.

Terry S
The additional chemical is, IIRC, sodium metabisulfite, which is both a preservative.
Old 23rd March 2024, 09:09 PM
Friend

Thanks, that helps clarify what I'd found elsewhere. I intend just to mix and discard on the day. What sort of water volume is that, Terry ?
Old 24th March 2024, 09:57 AM
Friend

Quote:
I'm pretty certain this was from slightly too long in the fix combined with too short a wash in rather cold water
For making test stripes becoming a first idea of my next steps I'm fixing the stripes as usual, and sometimes way too long - always followed by a very short wash only for seconds.
I never have seen colour changes except in using the microwave for a quick drying ( which also will not give different tonalities than an overnight drying but, as said, first ideas to me).

But:
I got colour changes from very long acidstopping and sometimes love it.
I forgot the name of a german artist; she regulary used this technique in her artistic manner.

I have no idea which appearence would happen with a final selenium bath then.
Old 24th March 2024, 01:02 PM
Friend

Quote:
Thanks, that helps clarify what I'd found elsewhere. I intend just to mix and discard on the day. What sort of water volume is that, Terry ?
Sorry Mark, I totally forgot to say!

Generally I put one tablespoon into one litre of warm water in my bathroom sink when I do smaller prints and more at the same ratio for bigger prints, in my Paterson Auto Washer.

Terry S
Old 24th March 2024, 02:05 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald S View Post
But:
I got colour changes from very long acidstopping and sometimes love it.
I forgot the name of a german artist; she regulary used this technique in her artistic manner.

I have no idea which appearence would happen with a final selenium bath then.
Thanks Reginald Yes it seems that the colour change must have been caused by another chemical and it is not selenium

When you say a long acid stopping, is this simply the stop bath acid between the developer and the fixer staging. This sounds interesting

If you can remember the name of the German artist and examples of her using this then please let us know

Thanks

Mike
Old 24th March 2024, 04:14 PM
Friend

Yes Mike, i'ts exactly what you've said- the classical stop bath acid between the developer and the fixer staging.
The only difference is that for protecting the fix bath I always give a short wash to the stopped print .

Try 15min, or try 60 minutes; at least to my Foma Baryta I can see up to heavy affects in colour changing.
Probably one could explore more with following longtime fix?
But I have no idea about resulting longtime stability to the print..

Since my brain became worm-eaten and full of cheese holes over the time my fear is that I'm not able help with the artist's name :-)
Old 24th March 2024, 08:19 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald S View Post

Since my brain became worm-eaten and full of cheese holes over the time my fear is that I'm not able help with the artist's name :-)
Thanks for your explanation, Reginald

Mike- a fellow cheese hole sufferer
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies