Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Top Tips

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th January 2022, 01:20 PM
Friend

Drysonal came as a 1 litre bottle and to use it the dev tank was emptied and dried out and the Drysonal poured in without any dilution. It was left for a short time and then the reel was taken out and the film hung up to dry. I think it worked on the same principal as the one Richard mentioned using Methylated spirits. The only problem being the more you used it the proportion of water from the still wet film and the drying agent changed, so it became slower and slower to dry.

Mirasol as I understand it is another variation of a wetting agent - quite a different kettle of fish to Drysonal
Old 10th January 2022, 02:42 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Drysonal came as a 1 litre bottle and to use it the dev tank was emptied and dried out and the Drysonal poured in without any dilution. It was left for a short time and then the reel was taken out and the film hung up to dry. I think it worked on the same principal as the one Richard mentioned using Methylated spirits. The only problem being the more you used it the proportion of water from the still wet film and the drying agent changed, so it became slower and slower to dry.

Mirasol as I understand it is another variation of a wetting agent - quite a different kettle of fish to Drysonal
Maybe so, but the OP wanted to dry his negs without scratches or drying marks. Mirasol achieves that, and also deters dust and fungi.

http://www.allmyeye.co.uk
Old 10th January 2022, 05:10 PM
Friend

I have a simple straight forward method I use a soft damp leather I run it down both sides of the film several times. Not had a damaged negative or drying mark in decades and they dry in half the time

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 22nd January 2022, 08:36 PM
Administrator

I have an old bottle of Drysonol and the contents on the side says: "50-90% Ethanol." No other ingredients listed, so presumably the rest is water. I could not find a data sheet for it online.
Old 24th January 2022, 09:28 AM
Friend

I hang my films horizontally. Any water droplets don't have far to go...
Old 13th February 2022, 12:01 PM
Friend

I use IPA alcohol pads that are used in tattoo parlours, nail bars and NHS. Various sizes on eBay.
Old 13th February 2022, 12:59 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouleur View Post
I use IPA alcohol pads that are used in tattoo parlours, nail bars and NHS. Various sizes on eBay.
Only very occasionally, having read in a book about it, quite some time ago now, I dunk my film and spiral into stock Isopropyl alcohol for a minute and then hang the film up to dry. The alcohol speeds up the drying very quickly, but I prefer not to add anything unnecessary the majority of the time.

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies