Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th October 2017, 09:31 PM
Friend

Thanks, GoodOldNorm.

For now, I shall be patient and see how my processed films turn out.
Old 24th January 2018, 01:30 PM
Friend

Default A current source of Metal film cassettes

I know that this thread is a bit old now, but I noted at the time that no-one actually came up with a source of reloadable metal film cassettes. Well I just found this current listing:

https://www.macodirect.de/en/film/fi...-10-pcs.?c=623

The German description translates as

"Empty 35mm metal film cartridges for self-filling by the meter. The metal cartridges are sturdy, reusable and have a bayonet lock."
Old 24th January 2018, 02:31 PM
Friend

I had a look at your link Edmund. Looks like good value at about £1.32 each but I wonder what is meant by bayonet fitting. It looks as if the metal end just snaps over the cylinder but maybe it is some kind of a place and twist fitting. If this is the case then the cassette might last a number of times or if well made then almost forever but if it is a clip on and prise off each time I'd be a bit worried about it failing compared with the screw-type end that the likes of Jessops used to supply.

Mike
Old 24th January 2018, 03:58 PM
Friend

It looks like the top clips on.
The Macodirect site has a video (in english) of someone using the cassettes with the Kaiser Bulk Loader :
https://www.macodirect.de/en/film/fi...m-loader?c=676
Old 24th January 2018, 07:36 PM
Friend

Thanks for the link. The Kaiser looks like a well made, relatively foolproof loader that "wastes" almost no film. I had thought that the Kaiser had a labyrinthine system( i.e. just a series of bends around which light cannot turn) of shielding the film when opening the cassette compartment but you appear to simply insert the film into a slot and push it straight so it exits into daylight. So I assume there are light traps made of felt rather like the velvet trap on a cassette. am I right?

Mike
Old 25th January 2018, 01:04 PM
Print Exchange Manager

I use one of these. Interesting that the film in the video comes on a spool. The Ilford films I have loaded come only on a central spindle which makes loading the loader a bit more fiddly than the video.

As for the light trap where the film comes out, it is a felt trap which also opens when you insert the winder handle. You can't do this without first closing the door to the cassette loading chamber.
Mike
Old 25th January 2018, 02:39 PM
Friend

Thanks Mike. On balance I thought it was probably a felt trap but pretty fail-safe from what you say and even if it puts some pressure on the film this would seem to occur so close to what becomes the end of the loaded cassette that it doesn't matter

Mike
Old 25th January 2018, 03:09 PM
Friend

The loader in the video is identical to the AP model I use. Having the film on a spool, especially with the wiggle room at the spindle hole that this one has, would make loading the loader a bit easier. On the other hand, I have heard that some bulk rolls, presumably on spools won't fit into certain models of loader. As Mike says, loading without a spool can be tricky, especially in the dark. I have unrolled a short length, then secured the rest with an elastic band whilst fiddling with the leader to get it into the slot. The band comes off when you're ready to put the core onto the spindle. There is very little space to work otherwise. I noticed in the video that the cassette was opened without a tool. He seemed to twist the cap off. I didn't watch him replace it.
Alex.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 26th January 2018, 02:17 AM
Friend

I have got excellent results from the humble (and cheap) plastic cassettes sold by B&H.

Tags
35mm, cassettes, reloadable
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies