Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th May 2020, 12:59 PM
Friend

a simple method is to breathe moist air over your enlarger lens and before it evaporates make your print here is a before and after prints .Click image for larger version

Name:	23431_7754189350f3d68fc1542.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	3770

Click image for larger version

Name:	23431_204462848350f3d69bb3362.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	3771
Old 15th May 2020, 05:29 PM
Friend

If you wanted the 'dreamy' look then the classic way was to use a soft focus filter. They were available in different strengths. these filters kept the subject sharp but the diffusion gave the effect you are after.

The cheapskates way of doing it was to fit a piece of nylon stocking or tights over the lens. The further away it was from the glass the more obvious it became with the highlight 'bleeding into the shadows.

If you tried it in the darkroom with a filter or a piece of stocking over the enlarging lens, the reverse would happen with the shadows bleeding into the highlights giving an all together doom and gloom image.

Breathing on the lens in the darkroom will give exactly the same 'dark' effect
Old 15th May 2020, 09:21 PM
Friend

I occasionally do this when printing by printing through an old 6x6 anti-newton ring slide mount which gives a very slight but noticeable diffusion effect. If I want to be even more subtle I split the expose and only use the diffuser for half the exposure. See attached image for an example - this was half-diffused.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	397254_160306974083190_907113586_n.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	3773  
Old 15th May 2020, 11:22 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post
I occasionally do this when printing by printing through an old 6x6 anti-newton ring slide mount which gives a very slight but noticeable diffusion effect. If I want to be even more subtle I split the expose and only use the diffuser for half the exposure. See attached image for an example - this was half-diffused.
That is actually rather nice.
Old 16th May 2020, 02:32 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcal View Post
Hi! Hope everyone is doing well!

I have been shooting medium format (Mamiya RZ67 Pro II) for some time now. I would love to start getting into making handprints but have no experience in this at all.

I was wondering if anybody would be able to help me out at all by giving me some tips on how to achieve a soft and dreamy look like these images:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B7Q3eMABe16/
https://www.instagram.com/p/B9ZSwLGgVsy/
https://www.instagram.com/p/B9w_UUogfwO/

Is this effect created more so when taking the photo by using a particular lens/filter or in the darkroom by using a certain type of paper/technique?

Thanks!

P.S. I am new to this site so apologies if I have posted incorrectly.
I have another RZ67 shooter here and also from london welcome. i have not tried to defusing in the darkroom but i have when taking shots. You can place a transparent plastic infront of the lens and it gives it a nice soft look.
Old 16th May 2020, 02:34 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post
this is interesting. i may try once i am able to get back into a darkroom
Old 16th May 2020, 02:49 PM
Friend

http://www.thecuckoofarm.com/cuckoo/...ol/pictrol.php
Old 16th May 2020, 07:38 PM
Friend

as they say theres more than one way to skin a cat ,and i think this has proved it ..
Old 17th May 2020, 10:45 AM
Friend

If you use a telephoto lens with it's narrow depth of field you can with the help of the shut down button move the point of focus to soften foreground and background.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 17th May 2020, 02:10 PM
Friend

I’m not sure how to link an image from elsewhere on the site, but if you view The Gallery and go to Print Exchange Gallery Round 53 July 2013, I posted a print entitled Loch Doon Castle. I used quite strong diffusion in the darkroom, and you can see the shadows have bled into the middle and higher tones. Although the film was Rollei IR, it has an anti-halation layer, so doesn’t produce the IR glow typical of some older films. I used a Cokin square resin diffuser under the enlarger lens for part of the exposure. The paper was also placed on top of a sheet of shiny aluminium foil in the easel to attempt to bounce some light back through to create a halo. I’m not sure if any of this was successful, but the print shows a softened effect created in the darkroom.
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

[Edit:]

Last edited by Bob; 19th May 2020 at 12:32 AM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies