Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Skills Swapping

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 1st April 2011, 07:25 AM
Friend

Default The Print.

Having followed a thread (The Printmakers Art ) on another forum it's got me thinking.
How many film/darkroom enthusiasts actually see real prints on a regular basis. I say real prints I mean as opposed to viewing on the Internet which IMO is complete wast of time, go back 15 years and you could see real silver prints maybe every month at a local camera club and the few print that were of high quality did help some darkroom workers to learn and improve.

I don't post on FADU galleries because I think it only give the onlooker an impression of what the real print is like in content and composition it gives no clue to the actual quality, tonality or printing skill.

One way to see good work are to see as many exhibitions as you can but the best way is in my experience is to meet in groups and let others look and discuss your work. I used to do this with LIP but got bored with seeing more and more ink jets so packed it in. The two agents I sell my prints to keep me on the ball, one has been dealing prints for over thirty years and is an excellent printer himself.

I really do believe that many of the newer darkroom workers have never seen let alone held a fine print and therefor never seen anything to aspire to, the Internet is no substitute real print viewing and discussion. Although the Internet a wonderful resource for learning many things it's very poor at showing the qualities of fine photographs and paintings. A whole generation is growing up having only seen these mediums on a monitor, this worries me for the future of fine print making, it is in fact a fast dying art.

I wonder if it could be possible for us FADU members in the UK to meet up say 2 or 3 times a year locally for print meeting groups I'm sure this would work in London and other cities but doubt it would in rural locations without of-course traveling.
I'm interested in the views of other members on this and possibilities of some print viewing meetings in the future.
J.

http://real-silver-prints.com/

"I Prefer it in the Dark"

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies