Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 20th June 2016, 11:13 AM
Friend

The FM and FE (but not the later FE2, FM2n etc) are also good for a mix of AI and pre-AI lenses, they'll take everything bar the G lenses or weird ones that need mirror lockup.
Old 20th June 2016, 01:57 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
The beauty of the f4 is that just about any pre digital lens will work on it (see lens compatibility chart on ken rockwell site). Also it well dust proofed and built like a tank,shame it has no built in flash. I have 2, one in mint condition the other well battered but still going strong. They are quite big and heavy, never had a problem with the DP-20.
My DP-20 comment was largely based on the relatively cheaper bodies I saw on eb&5 and APUG listings. Perhaps I was too quick.

Quote:
I use a F2.8 28-70mm afd lens on mine most of the time it is an absolute gem of a lens, I often read on the net that zoom lenses are not as sharp as prime lenses; if the 28-70mm afd is not sharp enough for you, consider having an eyesight test.
Re. Zoom lens sharpness: H. Nasse (from Zeiss) made a very positive comments in an interview on a YouTube video - i.e., bearing some conditions met, some zoom lenses are quite sharp and that there are some very zoom lenses in the market already. The whole interview would've been lot more educational for me if that Aussie bloke stopped interrupting him. As to why I was watching an Otus related video, don't ask me!

Quote:
Another camera that is often overlooked is the FE2, it has a good range of functions and it can do TTL flash. Cheap as chips but a bit fragile/plasticky is the Lightweight F80 it has brilliant exposure meter on par with the F100 and F5 but it likes AFD lens best to sing. A very good camera for hiking and easily replaced at low cost, I often see these go for less than £25 on Ebay.
Please no more temptation, Norm! I've already said I'd like to get another Nikon body!*

Bests,
Ashfaque

* Then again F2 and F3 are beautiful too.

Last edited by ashfaque; 20th June 2016 at 02:03 PM.
Old 20th June 2016, 10:02 PM
Friend

Get a nikon 50mm f1.8 ais (not pancake) lens starting in the 3000 serial number, that will be your normal lens and razor sharp as well
For another camera body you cant go wrong with a nikon fm3a or the fe2 as a cheaper option (i have both and a fm2)
The 28mm ais you bought, is it the close focus ais (focuses down to 0.2m), great lens if it is that one
I also have a 28mm f3.5 ai thats no slouch either
Paddy
Old 28th June 2016, 01:16 PM
Friend

I will Champion the FE2. I am fortunate enough to have the F5,F100,F80 bodys. But its the FE2 that gets taken out more often than not. It lives in a Lowepro Nova 1 bag which is acceptable as a second carry on bag on airlines. The 3 lens carried are 35-200 3.5 ASI, 50 1.8 ASI and 24 2.8 ASI. I can cover almost anything that you can throw at me without to much bother. There is enough room in the bag for a SB23 flash, film and a couple of filters.
A good informative read is "Complete Nikon users guide Modern Classics. A Hove Foto book by Harald Francke. ISBN 0-906447-75-5 It covers in detail the F, EL, FT2, FM, FE2, FA. In general, flash, lens and accessory's.
Cheers
Diz
Old 30th July 2016, 03:49 PM
Friend

I finally got my new toys just a day before Eid (July 3/4). So far I'm very happy. Lovely camera and lens combo. I especially love the film advance lever and double exposure thingy on it, even though I haven't used the later yet.

New Old Toys!
by Analogue Ashfaque, on Flickr

Anyway, I need some help. Can you please tell me where I can get those covers for the sync cord terminal? My eBay search didn't produce anything useful. Its raining quite heavily here in Dhaka at the moment. I don't want to regret later for not being careful now.

Bests,
Ashfaque
Old 30th July 2016, 10:05 PM
Friend

Nice camera, get a nikon uv filter for the lens now, if you cant get a nikon filter get a 52mm B+W uv mrc filter
A nice 50mm f1.8 ais (not pancake) would complement the kit
Try emailing Nikon for the flash sync terminal plugs
Paddy
Old 30th July 2016, 11:24 PM
Friend

Thanks Paddy. I bought a Marumi UV Haze filter last week from a local dealer. Although aluminium framed, it's quite nice. I noticed that I can get Marumi's DHG Circular polariser (both slim and standard size). Compare to B+W, Heliopan et al., they're possibly better value for money (for ~5 pounds).

I'll see if the local Nikon dealer can help me out for the sync port cap. I don't know why I didn't thought about it!

Just out of curiousity, I noticed a lot of people recommend (or at least praise) 50mm f/1.8 Ai-S. However, the price of a 50/1.4 Ai-S is not that much compare to a 50/1.8 AIS one in similar condition. Also, I don't see that many people recommending it. What are the specific reasons? Or am I just reading to much due to my self-selection bias?

Bests,
ashfaque
Old 31st July 2016, 05:21 AM
Friend

It might be worth contacting the company Misfuds in Devon if you google them you will find their online shop I have bought the covers for the F100 from them in the past and they do keep a lot of second hand Nikon items.
Richard
Old 31st July 2016, 05:27 AM
Friend

Ashfaque it should be Mifsuds not Misfuds sorry about that.
Richard
Old 31st July 2016, 02:35 PM
Friend

Thanks Richard. I'll contact them if I can't find it from the local Nikon distributor/dealer.

Tags
cheap, fm2n, fm3a, nikon f2, nikon lens
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies