Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th August 2023, 01:21 PM
Friend

Default Rollei Paul & Reinhold 640

I've just ordered a couple of rolls of this on a whim. I generally like Rollei films and have used a lot of Retro 80s and a bit of Retro 400s. This is a 'special edition' film to celebrate 100 years of the Rollei brand. I doubt it's a completely new film and probably something else rebranded.

Anyone on here tried it? Recommendations as to developing etc?

https://www.rolleianalog.com/product...nhold/?lang=en
Old 16th August 2023, 02:51 PM
Friend

I've shot a few rolls of it during the last year or so.
Shot at box speed and developed them in D76, Foma Excel (XTOL) and Adox FX39-II. I like it best in FX39-II, although all developers gave pretty decent results.
Indeed it's most likely something rebranded but I haven't figured out what it could be. Massive dev chart times didn't match any of the other 400ish films, but based on my 4 rolls it wouldn't surprise me if it's indeed some 400 speed film with a slight push in development which they market as 640.

It's a nice film and I enjoyed it a lot, so have fun with it!
Old 16th August 2023, 03:17 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzNL View Post
I've shot a few rolls of it during the last year or so.
Shot at box speed and developed them in D76, Foma Excel (XTOL) and Adox FX39-II. I like it best in FX39-II, although all developers gave pretty decent results.
Indeed it's most likely something rebranded but I haven't figured out what it could be. Massive dev chart times didn't match any of the other 400ish films, but based on my 4 rolls it wouldn't surprise me if it's indeed some 400 speed film with a slight push in development which they market as 640.

It's a nice film and I enjoyed it a lot, so have fun with it!
Buzz, which of the Rollei "400" films are actually ISO 400?

This attempt to market film at a higher speed seems to be a coming trend. All that seems to be required is that you stick a number at the end of a new name and hope or even hint that consumers believe it is ISO 640 in this case

There is a long thread on Photrio about a "new" film called Wonderpan 400 launched some months ago by Analogue Wonderland, a U.K. based company. There now appears to be evidence from some users it has FP4 on its edge markings

It's a trend that I find worrying and not in the interests of we consumers but that may just be me

Mike
Old 16th August 2023, 05:00 PM
Friend

Indeed, eg Rollei Retro 400S is far from 400 ( it works brilliantly for me at 320 in xtol or FX39-II though) and there are many others, not only at Rollei, which have a far too optimistic speed on the box.
As long as one is aware of that, they can still be terrific films.
I do prefer honest numbers on the box too though.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies