Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th January 2020, 06:01 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
They were made by Tetenal, my last kodak chemistry, their HCA, says mde in EU, that was bought a while ago, but maybe due to Tetenal on bthey changed producer, but according to Kodad Alaris all Kodak film and chemicals are going to be almost unavailable for some time due to supply problems, namely the pro market is so far backordered that until Kodak can increase supply the amateur market will be very low on the list.and that is one reason for the massive hike,
Thanks Richard I can see why film users may be suffering from the effects of a sudden excess of demand over supply but I wonder how an increase in film demand unless it translates into a massive increase affects the supply of chemicals.

I am unsure what the Pro market consists of. Is this Pro as in professional photographers i.e. those who make their living this way suddenly abandoning digital and returning to film in big enough numbers to affect demand to this extent? Even if this were the case are there enough of them anyway to really boost demand that much?

I imagine that most of the Pro market and for that matter a lot of the amateur enthusiast market still get their processing done by labs

So in a matter of a few months can the demand for C41 film suddenly have jumped enough to mean a form of rationing by price and shortages that we appear to be seeing?

It even begs such questions as where are these newcomers or former analoguers getting their camera gear from.

People who believe there are signs of this big increase in demand such as thriving analogue camera stores and bumping into more and more camera users on a daily basis tell me I need to get out more if I can't see the effects. Yet for every such herald of a revival there are others who report no signs of ever seeing film camera users or only an odd one or two

I remain puzzled and sceptical that we are getting fed with true and accurate( as in figures) news

Mike
Old 29th January 2020, 07:07 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Thanks Richard I can see why film users may be suffering from the effects of a sudden excess of demand over supply but I wonder how an increase in film demand unless it translates into a massive increase affects the supply of chemicals.

I am unsure what the Pro market consists of. Is this Pro as in professional photographers i.e. those who make their living this way suddenly abandoning digital and returning to film in big enough numbers to affect demand to this extent? Even if this were the case are there enough of them anyway to really boost demand that much?

I imagine that most of the Pro market and for that matter a lot of the amateur enthusiast market still get their processing done by labs

So in a matter of a few months can the demand for C41 film suddenly have jumped enough to mean a form of rationing by price and shortages that we appear to be seeing?

It even begs such questions as where are these newcomers or former analoguers getting their camera gear from.

People who believe there are signs of this big increase in demand such as thriving analogue camera stores and bumping into more and more camera users on a daily basis tell me I need to get out more if I can't see the effects. Yet for every such herald of a revival there are others who report no signs of ever seeing film camera users or only an odd one or two

I remain puzzled and sceptical that we are getting fed with true and accurate( as in figures) news

Mike
I believe that it is a case of supply and demand, Kodad cut back the supply, closed a lot of coating tracks Ect, due to lack of demabd, but recently demand has increaseds, but their coating lines has not caught up, and as far as seeing more people with film cameras, I for one am seeing more young people with old film cameras, when I was working I ran photography weekends over here, and it was mainly 18 to 26 year old folk who came ovr, and what I was hearing was they grew up with computer's, and many work with computers all day, they did mot want to come home and work with computers for their hobby of photgraphy, they wanted to learn film and darkroom work, and certainly, from several people I have dealt with for my own camera buying they say that demand is, in the words of one dealer, soaring, so I think tahat with Kodak their is a bottle neck of supply, as far as professional's I know of 2 over here that have gone back to film in the last 2 years, so at the moment I believe in a ressurgance in film use, but we are getting a long way from the original thread of Silver Print
Richard
Old 29th January 2020, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
... I believe in a ressurgance in film use, but we are getting a long way from the original thread of Silver Print
Richard
Thanks Richard, a timely reminder to stay on the OP subject.

Tags
orders, silverprint, trouble
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies