Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th September 2021, 12:53 PM
Friend

Brock, to answer your original question about the weight of a full 10x8 processor, That is way below the weight of a full 3 bath 12x16. 6 litres of chemicals plus 6 liters of water = 12 kilogrammes plus the weight of the processor, or in old money, very nearly 30lbs weight. So a 10x8 which is made from the same materials of the same gauge, I would say can be moved in relative safety
Old 25th September 2021, 01:03 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
I empty my 12x16 Nova water jackets by siphon, so no need to tip it up.
Not that I do it often. I put into the water jacket a drop of sodium hypochlorite to prevent the water going stale or maybe growing algae.
I too have syphon, but I am pretty well sure that the end to go inside the tank would not fit into the holes at the top. It is a short walk from my darkroom to the bathroom where it can be emptied and also hosed out to clean away any sludge. I have been doing it for years and it hasn't stained the bath one little bit.

The reason for putting Sodium Hypochlorite, AKA, ordinary household bleach is not to stop algae growth or to stop the water from 'going stale', it is to kill any Legionella bacteria that may propagate. The static, warm then cool then warm again water baths are a perfect breeding ground for the spores that can escape and indeed kill if you get infected. It is not pleasant!
Old 25th September 2021, 07:56 PM
Friend

https://www.fotoimpex.de/shop/images...-Datasheet.pdf

Link to the Nova Instructions.

I shall post it separately as well so it will be easier to find later.

Cheers.
Old 26th September 2021, 09:28 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
I too have syphon, but I am pretty well sure that the end to go inside the tank would not fit into the holes at the top. It is a short walk from my darkroom to the bathroom where it can be emptied and also hosed out to clean away any sludge. I have been doing it for years and it hasn't stained the bath one little bit.

The reason for putting Sodium Hypochlorite, AKA, ordinary household bleach is not to stop algae growth or to stop the water from 'going stale', it is to kill any Legionella bacteria that may propagate. The static, warm then cool then warm again water baths are a perfect breeding ground for the spores that can escape and indeed kill if you get infected. It is not pleasant!
The siphon is just a length of plastic tubing that I use as a siphon. My Nova is 12"x16" so a lot heavier than the 8"x10". I handle it very carefully as it has to last me for a long time, so I'd rather not tip it to empty it. Incidentally, it's an obsolete model, called Chrome, a 4 slot model which has running water rinse in slot 2. I don't rely on just water now, I use acid stop because it has prevented some staining.

I wasn't aware of the actual organism for which I was treating the water jacket: I wanted to avoid any bio-growth, such as that which grows in my washer if I don't use it for a while.

The Nova is a wonderful invention for those of us with little space. One just has to master a few foibles.
Old 27th September 2021, 07:37 AM
Friend

Default Legionella Bacteria

In my last job, I had to check all static water storage each month for traces of Legionella. Well not actually check for the bacteria, but assume it was present and treat the water accordingly. The principal site was the central heating system, where like a NOVA processor some sections heated up and cooled down at regular intervals, but not to a temperature enough to kill it off.

In the summer, even cold water pipes had to be checked and run off for around 20 minutes once a month.
Old 27th September 2021, 11:39 AM
Friend

Quote:
In the summer, even cold water pipes had to be checked and run off for around 20 minutes once a month.
I am presuming John, that the cold water run off and checking the central heating was for work buildings and therefore part of health and safety?

I'm therefore also presuming that your comments are not aimed at the general householder?

Terry S
Old 27th September 2021, 06:01 PM
Friend

No, not domestic. it was for 'Elf and Safety purposes. We had to make 6 monthly returns to satisfy the insurance that we had done what was required..

Largely it was I feel a waste of time (and money) running water through pipes that only carried cold water direct from the mains and not from hot or cold storage tank. (We didn't have one) But 'rules is rules' and it was no skin off my nose!

But as I said earlier on A Nova tank is a prime 5 star environment where the water is heated to 35c and cooled to room temp and then heated again, so on and so forth. Legionella is a bacterium, not a virus but if you get it and don't treat it...........
Old 28th September 2021, 11:30 AM
Friend

Quote:
But as I said earlier on A Nova tank is a prime 5 star environment where the water is heated to 35c and cooled to room temp and then heated again, so on and so forth. Legionella is a bacterium, not a virus but if you get it and don't treat it...........
Thanks for confirming my thoughts John.

I can't remember the last time I topped up my Nova slots with water and a dab of bleach, so think I'll check the levels later and top up with both. As you've alluded, better safe than sorry and this time I'll put a sticky label or something on the unit, with a date, so I know better next time.

And I don't remember reading anything in the Nova info sheets about the possibility of the bacterium, so maybe they should?!?

Terry S
Old 28th September 2021, 01:46 PM
Friend

Terry

There is a note at the bottom of page two on the Nova Instruction Sheet that I put a link to here, about four posts back. The last paragraph, page two.

Mentions a spoon full of bleach in each water slot to prevent the build up of algae.

Cheers.
Old 28th September 2021, 06:24 PM
Friend

Bleach is also very good for cleaning the developing slot so long as you are not in a hurry. The last time I used it I filled a 50/50 solution and left it for a week when I was away in Europe in June 1919 (Seems like a lifetime a ago now!)
But when I came back the slot was a lot cleaner than I left it. IOt needs doing again.

Bleach does loose it chemical activity after a short while so perhaps once every 3 months is a good interval.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies